+ Reply to Thread
Page 169 of 171 FirstFirst ... 69 119 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1709

Thread: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Thanks
    Has anyone seen 127 Hours?

Thanks
    ^i just saw it today! It was sooo good! James Franco is an excellent actor, and he pretty much carried this entire movie by himself. I was excied to see the lovely Lizzy Caplan make an appearance, even though she didn't have any lines.

I can't even imagine going through that, but the part
    Spoiler:
    where he cuts off his hand...ahhhh! that was just too much for me. it was hard to enjoy the happy ending after that because i just couldn't get that out of my head!

EDIT: ooooh, this spoiler thing is new. i like it.

Thanks
    Two people at my work (I work at a cinema) passed out watching it, lol.

Thanks
    ^I don't Blame them.

I saw "Black Swan" the other day and it actually had a few gross parts i couldn't watch either. lol It was a great movie though. Not at all what i would have expected though, considering the Oscar buzz. It just doesn't seem like an Oscar type movie.

I also saw "The Switch". I have heard a lot of bad things about it, but i actually enjoyed it.

Thanks
    Oh my god guys!....The last post in here was January 2011??? What happened? lol I've seen literally hundreds of movies since "The Switch" lol

I've been watching a marathon of thriller/horror/halloween movies all month long, and I've seen some surprisingly good ones, some surprisingly bad ones, and a lot of mediocre ones. I'm generally not a fan of horror movies, but that was my intent for doing this marathon, because there are so many horror movies that I have never seen before, so i need to catch up! That being said though, I've inadvertently watched a lot of obscure titles so I don't know if i'm really accomplishing my goal lol.

I miss talking about movies

Thanks
    What were the good and bad ones? Most recent thing I saw was Filth, which if you don't know is a Scottish novel by the same author that did Trainspotting. It was pretty hard core and graphic at times but I liked it, it was filmed in Edinburgh where I used to live so that was nice for me too!

Thanks
    I've been looking forward to seeing "Filth", I'm a big James McAvoy fan!

So the good:

The Hunger (1983) : Absolutely excellent, its by far my favourite out of everything I've watched this month. Its more on the artsy side, but it was just so slick, and stylish and sophisticated and subtle, it was a real visual treat to watch. It's a vampire movie, but its doesn't follow any vampire clichés, it mostly deals with the concept of eternal life, and everlasting youth which tends to be an afterthought in a lot of recent vampire stuff. It wasn't particularly scary, but it was unsettling at times, and actually quite sensual. haha The special effects are cheesy at times, but there isn't a lot of that.

Christine (1983) Apparently 1983 was a good year for movies, because this was my second favourite. Its a John Carpenter movie (who I am generally not fond of), but its based on a Stephen King book, so thats probably why it was so good. Its a movie about a haunted car, which sounds ridiculous, but it was surprisingly un-cheesy. I liked that it didn't fall for any of the usual traps and clichés found in a lot of 80's teen movies. The friendship dynamic between the two leads (a 'nerd' and a 'jock' who were BFFs) was refreshing. Its basically about a nerd, who buys the haunted car and sort of breaks out of his shell, before things start going awry.

Paperhouse (1988) This one was a more obscure british kids movie. It had a really great concept, about a girl who draws a picture of her ideal home only to be transported to a distorted alternate reality inside the drawing during a series of possibly life threatening blackouts. It was pretty dark, and surprisingly creepy for a kids movie. It reminded me of this Canadian kids show I used to watch called "The Odyssey", about a boy in a coma, and the crazy dystopian world he experiences within his coma.

Re-Animator (1985) A sort of Frankenstein-esque movie about an unstable medical student who discovers a formula that can bring people back from the dead, that obviously goes awry! Its a completely silly concept that could have been OTT and corny, but they played it completely straight, and as ridiculous as everything was, everyone was being totally serious, so it kind of worked.

And now the Bad:

Halloween I & II (1978-1981) OK, so I realize this is probably a massively unpopular opinion, but I was not impressed with these movies. I am just generally not a fan of slasher movies about anonymous unintelligent teens being picked off one by one in a series of ridiculous situations, and these movies were the epitome of that. It had dreadful acting, empty characters, embarrassing death sequences, and Jamie Lee Curtis playing herself at 50. If they had not expanded on the back story in the sequel then the entire plot of the first movie would have been as flimsy as sandwich wrap. This is generally considered John Carpenters best film, but I think it was one of his worst out of a dismal selection. He is very big on the slow build, dragging the story out with drips of horror here and there until finally everything happens in the 3rd act, but when you have poorly written and underdeveloped characters, spending the first 45 minutes just watching them go about their daily lives is boring! The sequel was just a rehash of the first film but in a slightly different location. Still the same characters though, and still on the same night as the first one, so watching them together was like one really long waiting game, and then a bunch of dumb outlandish deaths.

They Live (1988) Ok so this one wasn't necessarily bad, but disappointing. Its another John Carpenter movie, I have sort of been inadvertently watching his entire filmography this month. Anyways, it had a great concept about consumerism and mind control and such, and some amazingly campy looking aliens which I loved, but it failed for me because A) John Carpenters directorial style, which can basically be summed up as "Nothing nothing nothing EVERYTHING". B) the lead actor had as much personality as a plank of wood. There were lots of really awkward acting moments as well, and it was hard to tell if they were intentional or not. It had its moments but overall it could have been better, which is always frustrating.

There are a lot more movies I have watched this month, and still a week to go, so maybe when I'm done i'll post the list and rank them.
    Last edited by Chris; 10-25-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks
    Alright, so here is the full marathon list, ranking from best to worst.

Re-watches:

**Hocus Pocus
    **Practical Magic
    **Psycho

Previously Unwatched:

1. The Hunger
    2. Little Shop Of Horrors
    3. Christine
    4. The Crow
    5. Paperhouse
    6. Re-Animator
    7. Fright Night
    8. Fright Night Part 2
    9. The Frighteners
    10. New Nightmare
    11. Psycho II
    12. The Fly
    13. The Dead Zone
    14. The Fog
    15. Lady In White
    16. Night Of The Creeps
    17. Near Dark
    18. Tower Of Terror
    19. From Beyond
    20. Dead Ringers
    21. In The Mouth Of Madness
    22. They Live
    23. Night Of The Living Dead
    24. Night Of The Comet
    25. Idle Hands
    26. Halloween
    27. Halloween II

"Little Shop Of Horrors" was fabulous, and as far as Horror musicals go, I actually think it beats "Rocky Horror Picture Show"...that may be blasphemy, but it was brilliant. "The Crow" is a cult classic and I have been meaning to watch it for years, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. It was very hyper stylized, almost like a Tim Burton movie, but more serious. I also really enjoyed "The Frighteners", it was so quintessentially 90's, and somehow reminded me of the live action "Casper" movie, but more adult oriented. Both "Fright Night" films were also great, campy 80's fun.

Some Surprises: "Psycho II" and "New Nightmare". Two sequels which were both unexpectedly quite good. "New Nightmare", which is actually "A Nightmare On Elmstreet 7", was such a unique and clever way to handle a sequel, and you thankfully didn't need to watch the previous films to understand it. It felt almost like a precurser to "Scream", it had a similar vibe, and some familiar devises like creepy phone calls from murders etc. "Psycho II"...I never in a million years would have expected it to be good, but while its not as good as the original, obviously, it was fresh and felt like a proper continuation of the story, and not just a rehash.

Some Disappointments: Both "Dead Ringers" and "In The Mouth Of Madness" had excellent cast and intriguing plots, but really fell flat, the former was barely even a horror movie. After really loving "Re-Animators" I thought that "From Beyond", a movie with similar source material, the same director and even the same lead actor, would be just as good, but it was kind of a mess.

Thanks
    That sounds like a list from the all night horror marathons we did at my old job! I haven't seen any of them lol, definitely not a horror fan.

Most recent things I saw were Captain Phillips and Gravity (which for once was a really good use of 3D), both of which I enjoyed a lot, though both were quite traumatic, lol.

Thanks
    I need to see Gravity! I'll will watch pretty much anything if it has to do with space, and I've been dying to see that one, but I've become a bit of a hermit as of late, so I didn't catch it in theatres.

I've been having a bit of an unofficial indie month. I watched "Electrick Children" which I adored. It has a ridiculous plot, but it deals with some particularly heavy subject matter in a strangely fun and lighthearted way. I also watched "Frances Ha" which was a bit like the TV show Girls, and although it was funny and I loved it, it made depressed because I could relate so well to the main characters misfortunes in life lol.

+ Reply to Thread