+ Reply to Thread
Page 171 of 171 FirstFirst ... 71 121 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171
Results 1,701 to 1,709 of 1709

Thread: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Thanks
    I wasn't a huge fan of "Blue Jasmine" but Cate Blanchete was phenomenal, and I agree she totally deserves to win.

I'm kind of pulling for a surprise win by June Squibb for best supporting actress. She is such a firecracker in "Nebraska", and is totally the highlight of the movie. But I'd be just as happy with Jennifer Lawrence. I adore Sally Hawkins, and I hope she'll get the chance to be nominated again some day, but she's a long shot.

Matthew Mccounaghey was great in Dallas Buyers Club, and I expect he'll win, but I honestly think Leo deserves it more, not just because I think he was better in Wolf, but he has such an impressive filmography and has given so many Oscar worthy performances I can't believe he hasn't won already, and has only been nominated 4 times in 20 years! Jared Leto should get supporting actor though.

Thanks
    Veronica Mars!!!!!!

I am so happy this movie finally got made! I was one of the many people who donated to the kickstarted fund to make it happen, and I still can't believe it actually did happen! I went to an advanced screening last night and it far exceeded every expectation I had! It remained so completely faithful to the TV series, finally providing a continuation and a proper sense of closure to the story, but still leaves you wanting more at the end! I don't really know how it will be received by people who never saw the show, but as a diehard fan, it was perfect! There is no way I could ever be object about it, it was exactly what I wanted! It was mysterious, suspenseful, funny, even sad, but of course, there so much sass! It recaptured the magic of the series to a T, as if it had ever been away at all.

Thanks
    Yikes, its been almost a year since I posed in this thread last. I've seen 300+ movies since (don't judge me!)

Anyways, its Oscar season again, and I have just finished watching all the Best Picture nominees so I thought I would do another ranking this year.

1. Whiplash
    2. The Theory Of Everything
    3. The Grand Budapest Hotel
    4. Boyhood
    5. The Imitation Game
    6. Birdman
    7. Selma
    8. American Sniper

"Whiplash" was absolutely astounding, such an unexpectedly intense thrill ride. I am surprised it even got a nomination, and I don't think it has a shot at winning, but it was such an excellent film that I am glad it at least is getting recognition. "The Theory Of Everything" was just superb as well, Eddie Redmayne was fantastic and I hope he picks up the Best Actor award because he was truly phenomenal.

This is a bit of a tough year for me though. There are plenty of great movies that made the cut, but unlike in pervious years, there isn't as clear of a distinction between 'best' and 'worst' for me. They are all relatively on the same plane, so its difficult to rank. Although "Whiplash" and "The Theory Of Everything" were definitely my favourites out of this years selection, I would still be happy with any the top 6 on my ranking winning Best Picture. I wasn't too crazy about Selma or American Sniper, but they were still good films.

For me, I feel like this year there were a lot of really fantastic movies that were ignored by the academy. So I decided to make my own ideal Best Picture nominations, based on all the great films i have seen from 2014.

1. Interstellar
    2. Gone Girl
    3. Whiplash
    4. The Theory Of Everything
    5. The Grand Budapest Hotel
    6. Fury
    7. Boyhood
    8. Unbroken
    9. The Imitation Game
    10. Birdman

Honorable mention goes to "Under The Skin", "Coherence" and "Nightcrawler", which I actually favour over some on this list, but aren't exactly "Oscar" type films.

I know Interstellar was a particularly divisive film that people seemed to either love or hate, but I loved it. I have seen it 3 times already, and its just absolutely the perfect modern day Sci-Fi movie. It echoes the sentiment of "Contact" which is one of my all time favourite films, but applied real, logical science to it, allowing for some mind bending plot points and stunning visuals. Sure the story takes some liberties with the unknowns of science like Black Holes, but consierding that they are unknowns, then I think creative licence should be allowed.

"Gone Girl" as well, was one of my favourite films of the year, and to see it almost completely ignored is such a shame. Its one of the most 'twisty' thrillers I have ever seen.

"Fury" was, to my surprise, a fantastic movie, and by far the best war related film I have ever seen. It paints such a relentlessly devastating portrait of war that can often be overshadowed by sappy sentimentality in other films.

"Unbroken", was criminally overlooked, most likely thanks to it being directed by Angelina Jolie. It was a powerful film and she did a great job directing.

Thanks
    I feel like I need to see more films! I haven't seen many of them, I loved The Grand Budapest Hotel and Gone Girl was good, rather disturbing. I saw Kingsman last week which I loved! Not an Oscar type though.

Thanks
    I've been looking forward to Kingsman for a while! Its not playing at my theatre though

Oscars were a bit of a surprise, in that all of the actors/actresses who i wanted to win, actually won! I was also surprised that "Birdman" ended up winning best picture. I thought it would be "Boyhood" for sure.

Thanks
    "It Follows"

.....What.A.Movie.

Absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, the best Horror movie I have ever seen. As I said before when i was doing my horror movie marathon month, i typically don't like Horror movies much at all, but something about this one just struck a chord with me. It's so immense, unnerving, atmospheric, nightmarish... It completely chilled me to the bone. It was like some long lost 80's horror gem, that somehow strangely hits home in a way that feel eerily familiar. The soundtrack was phenomenal, like a spine tingling electronic interpretation of a nightmare. I can't wait to see it again.

Thanks
    Man, that sounds scary! I saw The Falling last week. It was good but I really wanted to find some discussion about it online afterwards because there's so much unanswered but I've not found anything!

Thanks
    Never heard of The Falling before, but I always tend to enjoy english school girl mysteries lol

Just went to see The Avengers: Age Of Ultron yesterday. It was good! I was never a big fan of the Avengers comics, and the solo movies have been hit and miss, but this was really good, better then the first in my opinion.

Thanks
    Just saw the new Fantastic Four.

I really wanted to like it, but it was just too flawed. It had a really great concept and offered an exciting re-imagining of their origin story, but the whole thing just felt extremely rushed. It was only 100 minutes, which is pretty short for a superhero movie these days, and it certainly was not enough time to achieve everything they were attempting to cover.

What i liked about it is that it felt more like a straight up science fiction movie, rather then a superhero movie. It felt fresh. But there was a very clear distinction when the movie studio likely stepped in and it suddenly transformed into a typical superhero movie. There was literally a time jump in the movie immediately after they gain their powers that completely glossed over the characters having to deal with their powers and learn to control them. It jumps forward in time to when they already know how to use them and are ready to fight.

It was directed by the guy that did "Chronicle" which is an amazing movie, one of my favourites. This seemed like it was on track to being almost a big budget version of that, but it felt like everybody involved had a different idea of what the movie should be. Too many cooks.

+ Reply to Thread