+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Chat

Thanks

Chat

Just making this thread for chat because it's better than the shoutbox! Any old freshies lurking feel free to drop in and say hi too

I actually want to vent a little bit I do shift work and get the rota week by week and this week I was given a measly 4 hour shift. I took it to the manager and next week he's put me on a double bar shift, which no one likes, I feel he's done it just out of spite because I dared to complain! Basically that's 13.5 hours doing the shift that everyone likes least. Don't get me wrong I'm really thankful i have a job at all but people at my work have been unhappy for a while because of all the changes, I've been quite happy until now but now I think it's time to think about moving on, it's only part time and minimum wage anyway. But I dunno what I want to do which makes it very hard to look for jobs

Thanks
    That's rough. What kind of a place do you work at again? You're not at the theater still, correct? I loved the people I worked with at the clothes store I worked at the past couple summers and winter breaks, but I know that that kind of scheduling stinks. I mostly hated the inconsistency of it as far as trying to make plans. Like "Hey, want to go to the beach next Friday?" "I won't know if I can go until Monday... I didn't have to work last Friday, but you never know about the next one!" I hope your boss decides to be kinder to you in regards to scheduling in the future

I have a work complaint too... one of my part-time jobs is assistant "coaching" soccer classes for little kids (2-7!) run by this private company... it pays really well and it's pretty fun, but I usually only get 4-5 classes a week. Anyway, I NEVER ask for time off, and I just asked for a couple days off in 3 weeks to go surprise a friend for their birthday, and they were all like "I don't know. That's a really tough weekend to want off, it's the kick-off of the spring season. MAYBE we can schedule you to classes that are done before noon on that Saturday." GAH. 3 WEEKS in advance. I guess I'm just used to aforementioned retail job where as long as you asked 2 weeks in advance it was fine, and then there were also a TON of people you could trade shifts with if you wanted, but we can't trade shifts for this coaching thing.

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

Thanks
    I work in a cinema (I think that's a theatre to you though?!). It's good in terms of we can say when we're not available so if i want to do something then I can just say don't put me down for that shift. But I was available this week and still got no shifts, just down to him overlooking me which isn't fair.

It's good to be able to trade shifts and be flexible but I worry I'll be like that in the future too, too used to it!

Thanks
    I'm trying everything to get someone to cover part of the shift but I think I'm just gonna have to suck it up and do it!

Actually, just gonna go and check the laws on doing 13 hour shifts

Thanks
    Daisy, why don't you look for a job right now than when you get hired at that job, give in your two weeks notice in. just a suggestion

Not work related but good news. I met Hanson (as you all probably knew or didn't know) I've met them a couple times and yesterday, i went to an HMV signing of their album release. I got to meet so many cool girls and one girl was so awesome that she allowed to take a photo for me with them. I've always wanted photo with the band since they were my first love. I posted it on facebook. I'm so pleased and happy

To all my friends here..I love each and every one of you

Thanks
    HANSON! That's so cool Arti

And yeah Daisy that's crazy! I hope you get many, long breaks!

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

Thanks
    So I had a job interview today. I first talked to a young girl and then an older guy. He said that quite a few people have applied online just like I did, and that he would compare notes with the girl and they would do more interviews with other people. That's fine, but I thought that was a little bit unnecessary. He should have just said that someone would call if they were interested in hiring me. I don't care how many others have applied and don't wanna feel like I already failed.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I even want the job. It's basically like a personal shopper type position. Except for during busy moments, each employee establishes a book of clients that they specifically cater to. I don't know how many regular customers they get, but I don't feel like having to remember people and it doesn't seem like the type of place that needs that. Just seems kind of desperate and snobbish to me.
    Last edited by Jonny; 04-04-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks
    Jonny, have you worked anywhere before? It's good to figure out what you like and don't like... when I first started working all I could get was Walmart and I worked in the jewelry department and it wasn't too bad, but you get to a point where you don't want to do something anymore and move on. At least if you get it, it could be fun to try out for a while, and if you can't stand it then it'll be no great loss.

Daisy - I'm sorry about you getting the crappy shift, that doesn't seem fair at all. 13 hours is a long time. I work 12 hour shifts (it's my regular shift) but we are allowed 2 - 15 minute breaks and 2 - 30 minute breaks. It would definitely be good to start looking for something else, where they give u good hours and treat you fairly, but like you said it's hard when you don't know what you want to do. 12 hour shifts are so long, but I really love my job and I'm lucky I sort of stumbled across it, because this is basically going to be my career until I croak. So I definitely think trying different things, even something you wouldn't normal think you might like is always good, because you might find out you love it.

Gretch - That is crazy you can't get the time off. That happens a lot at my work, they have minimum staffing and stuff so it gets crazy. Sometimes are only hope is trading a day with someone, but I'm sorry they are basically telling you no, that gets to be so annoying haha.

Arti - I'm so happy you finally got your picture, it looks great!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IStillLoveJ&B For This Useful Post:

Jonny (04-05-2012)

Thanks
    Arti, good for you meeting Hanson It's exciting meeting someone you're a fan of! I have sort of started looking for other jobs but I don't really know what I want to do so I'm going to see a career advisor.

I've done 16 hour shifts before but that was in projection which I really enjoy, I've even had long days in other roles but the bar is the worst! I'll get two 30 minute breaks. Usually I'm quite happy with my job but this has put me off. Also I'm starting to realise I'm not really earning enough.

Thanks
    So is projection like where you are in where the movies are showing? And the bar part is like the snack bar type thing? If that's right I can imagine that everyone hates doing the snack bar thing, and that is a lot of time to spend on your feet, ay yi yi.

+ Reply to Thread