+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Do You Quit a Job?

Thanks

How Do You Quit a Job?

I don't know if anyone has any experience with this...I sure don't...but I was wondering what a good way was to quit your job. It might sound silly, but I really don't know as I've never done it before! I assume I'll actually need a letter of resignation and not just verbally tell them?

I am FINALLY quitting my hellish job on Friday. It has made me miserable for 3.5 years and I am THRILLED to finally have an out. I got a new job at a university and I'm really excited about it. I think it's going to be HELL when I quit, though. We're a very small office and one person quit two weeks ago and her last day is the day that I am planning on quitting, so I think they're going to be extra sensitive on Friday. They are planning on giving me a lot of her work...but I don't know what they'll do when I quit. They're going to be so pissed and I'm kind of nervous about it. But, it has to be done.

I mean, what is a good way to approach my boss? Does anyone have any good suggestions? I'm just worried that they're going to make my life hell for the next two weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Yay on you getting a new job! I've only really properly quit once but I was lucky enough to have a nice boss who was very approachable. Was still really nervous though! I called him and just said I'd got into uni so I'd be leaving.

I dunno what the best approach is in your situation, I would say tell them before writing a letter because it probably feels more like a stab in the back to them if you make it all formal like that and don't tell them to their face. Just tell them you feel it's time to move on and you have a new job.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:

Mike PP (03-24-2011)

Thanks
    Congrats on the new job PP!!!! And good luck with the quitting of the current one, ahhh! It's one of those things where like... you almost shouldn't have remorse because what do you care about what happens to the company and your work after you leave, but obviously you're a good person and don't think like that... and you might need your boss as a reference at some point!

I agree with Daisy. I think it's just going to have to be one of those things where you pace around in your office for 15 minutes and then finally work up the courage to go talk to your boss. I guess just make sure they know you really appreciated your time there, and you feel bad about the timing with the other lady just quitting and such, but you really need to move on. I'm sorry, that's not so helpful LOL. The only job I've ever had besides babysitting is working at a clothes store.

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gretch For This Useful Post:

Mike PP (03-24-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks! I am so excited about this new job. I already feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me. I imagine it'll feel even more amazing in two weeks.

Thanks for the great advice. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. I feel like I can say things very tactfully and professionally, but no matter how well I do it, it's going to be a disaster. I am going to type up a letter of resignation tomorrow at work and then go actually talk to my boss about it. I want to do it early in the morning but I think I'm going to hold off until the afternoon because they're holding a luncheon for the woman who already quit and I don't want to put a damper on that (they think she's quitting because she's moving to Florida, but she's moving to Florida because it was a way out of this hell, haha). So, that's why she got a luncheon. I'll be lucky if I get a "good luck in the future."

If I don't post again by this weekend, contact the police because it means they killed me. Haha. Joking kind of.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike PP For This Useful Post:

IStillLoveJ&B (03-25-2011)

+ Reply to Thread