+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where Will Music Be Heading in 2011?

Thanks

Where Will Music Be Heading in 2011?

Right now dance music is really big. Kind of annoyingly so, I think, haha. I'm just kind of over it. But, maybe you're not. What kind of music do you think will be popular in the next year?

I kind of think/hope that dance music will take a backseat and some more alternative music will get more mainstream. The Black Keys and Mumford & Sons have had some big songs this year and I wouldn't mind seeing them on popular radio. Or at least that sound. I want to see more impressive lyrics in mainstream music. I'm so sick of songs about dancing and all that.

Basically, I really want a mid-90s resurgence in music. I miss honest lyrics that Alanis and Fiona had in that time period. I just think music has been kind of vapid and shallow lately. Although, I guess that's what makes popular music popular...the fact that it's generic and relatable for everyone.

So where do you want to see popular music go in the next year or two?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike PP For This Useful Post:

Chris (11-30-2010)

Thanks
    I like the sort of dance-y stuff, but I'm a bigger fan of less dance-y pop, if that makes sense. Songs that are pop that weren't made with the intention of being a really awesome song to dance to at clubs. The late 90s/early 2000's stuff of Britney, NSYNC, BSB, etc. A song like "Tearin Up My Heart". Just for example.

I know this isn't going to happen, but I'd love to see some more country music make appearances on "pop" radio. Acts like Taylor, Lady Antebellum, Carrie to a lesser extent, are having a lot of success on pop/mainstream radio with pop remixes of their songs that are NOT that drastically different than the "country" version.

I'd also like to see more alternative and rock, like you said Mike.

I guess I'd really just like to see more variety show up on mainstream and pop radio stations. I feel like stations like Kiss 108 around me are afraid to put anything on the air that's too much off the beaten path, but I think there are a lot of songs people would like that they're just not exposed to.

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

Lana is offline i'm gonna fight for you tonight. close your eyes. Lana has acheived ultimate freshness. Lana has acheived ultimate freshness. Lana has acheived ultimate freshness. Lana has acheived ultimate freshness. Lana has acheived ultimate freshness. Lana has acheived ultimate freshness. Lana has acheived ultimate freshness. Lana has acheived ultimate freshness. Lana has acheived ultimate freshness. Lana has acheived ultimate freshness. Lana has acheived ultimate freshness.
    Thanks
    I like Lady Gaga, but there seems to be such an explosion of dance music. I'm not really that into it. I'd rather see artists doing their own things and standing out for different reasons. *shrug*

Chalk it up to lessons learned
    Miles walked and bridges burned
    Just another memory in the back of my mind
    Lock it up, throw away the key
    Forget the things you promised me
    Just another thing I can't forget
    Just another thing I won't forget

Thanks
    I'm so fed up of the current music scene! Some dance songs can be good but in the UK rap and really hard core, headache-inducing dance music is popular and I hate it!

The early 2000s were a good time for me, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Thanks
    I would love to see music from the 80s, late 90s, and early 2000s make a comeback.

Thanks
    I love the current dance-y atmosphere in music. I have always been into house/dance music...and to see being sampled & played on mainstream radio is awesome!

Britney Fan Forever.

Thanks
    I have always been more in favor of dance/electronic music. But most of what is being churned out these days barely even deserves the title of "Music", let alone dance or electronic.

I have stopped listening to most mainstream music, because its just become so awful. It seems like every song that comes out is using synthesizers and keyboards and stuff to try and sound dancey, and then they just cut an paste some generic 'dancin in the club' bullshit lyrics on top, and the results are pretty much garbage. Don't even get me started on autotune. When and how did lyrics get soooo stupid? I mean, there have been plenty of cheesy and dumb lyrics from every era of music, but it seems like these days its become and epidemic, or maybe i should say, a requirement to gain a hit.

And so many "artists" seem to just be playing off each other's success, rather then attempting to come up with something different. Not that it is really anything new, but its like people are so afraid of failing or not getting a smash hit that everything just ends up sounding the same because that is whats working at the moment, not even just sonically, but lyrically too. Like, how many god damn songs has there been about "Monsters" in the last year?

It seems like these days everyone wants to be regarded as "artist" and everyone thinks their music is "art". Nothing wrong with that, if your music is actually that good, but i thik everyone is just trying way too hard to act more important or cool or informed or edgy then they really are. And its funny because recently there has been this whole "Be yourself" mood throughout the music industry, but all i see are fake personas and try-hards whoring themselves any way they possibly can.

There are plenty of artists out there making great music that goes virtually unnoticed because its not generic enough, or because the artist aren't media hungry or wear lobsters on their heads. When dance music started to comeback it was opening doors for a lot of really good artists to have their time in the spotlight, but they were almost instantly overshadowed by mainstream acts who distilled and commercialized the sound and scored themselves some unfortunate sounding hits.

I just want to see some more lyrical intelligence in the next year. No more "1, 2, 3, Peter Paul and Mary" bullshit.
    Last edited by Chris; 11-30-2010 at 02:05 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Jonny (12-04-2010)

Thanks
    I'm so sick of the Black Eyes Peas! It's like the same thing all over again
    I f I s a i d I w a n t y o u r b o d y n o w
    WOULD YOU HOLD IT AGAINST ME

11. The Following User Says Thank You to McSteamy For This Useful Post:

Jonny (12-04-2010)

Thanks
    I'd like to see Pop music go back a few years to when it was only slightly clubby and kind of urban. Like I prefer "Blackout" and "Don't Stop The Music" type songs rather than the full on Club/Dance type stuff we have now. I also agree with Chris about needing less generic music. It's cool if the formula works for a while and is used a few times. It can get old and very repetitive though. Not that I actively listen to the radio, but I'd prefer to hear more variety than the same thing. This doesn't apply to just Pop music though.

I would also like to see what new sound producers can come up with, artists with more attitude, and definitely better lyrics. I love meaningless upbeat Pop songs just as much as the next person, but they're all lyrically too similar. Songs like "Break The Ice" and "Gimme More" are great and have the standard kind of clubby Pop sound, but they are lyrically different and fresh.
    Last edited by Jonny; 12-04-2010 at 08:30 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonny For This Useful Post:

Daisy (12-04-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I just want to see some more lyrical intelligence in the next year. No more "1, 2, 3, Peter Paul and Mary" bullshit.
    Lol, agreed.

+ Reply to Thread