+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Thanks

Thumbs up Quitting Smoking

Well, hello, strangers.

So after 10 years of smoking cigarettes, I have just survived my first 24 hours smoke free.

It has been a hard day. I have been almost constantly thinking about cigarettes all day. At home, I had a stressful phone conversation - this was the first time it was REALLY difficult not to smoke. Then I ate; I ALWAYS have a cigarette right after I finish a meal, so I had to chew on a pencil after that. I live 13 miles away from where I work, so during my drive to work, it was also very difficult... I started chewing on my lip but stopped myself. (Another bad habit I am trying to break.)

I decided to quit now because first off, I will be 25 in March and I didn't want to be a smoker for 11 years. Secondly, my boyfriend had to serve 2 days in jail for a stupid driving offense. Since he's in there for 48 hours and can't smoke, I just decided I wouldn't smoke either. Then when I pick him up from jail and he asks for a cigarette, I can say "NEVER AGAIN!"

And basically I am posting this here because I am looking for all of the support I need. People to hold me accountable.

Anybody else ever quit smoking?

GET WITH THE M.G.M.V.E.

RAMBLINGS OF JESSI
    The blog of a manic depressive girl.

Thanks
    Good for you! I've never been a smoker so I can't give any advice. Are you using any patches or anything to help?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:

Jessi (10-29-2010)

Thanks
    Thanks, Daisy! I am not using any sort of medication, just going cold turkey. I have read that using medications that have nicotine are somewhat counter productive since you are still putting nicotine in the bloodstream and feeding the addiction. Apparently after 72 hours with absolutely no nicotine, it is completely out of your bloodstream. (I am at 27. Eek.)

GET WITH THE M.G.M.V.E.

RAMBLINGS OF JESSI

Thanks
    That's so awesome!! Keep it up and hang in there! My dad has been a smoker my whole life and I'm assuming most of his and I absolutely hate it and it really worries me. Definitely know that quitting is more than most people try to do and it's obviously a million times healthier.

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gretch For This Useful Post:

Jessi (10-30-2010)

Thanks
    How's it holding up, Jessi? I've read that the first few days are REALLY tough and once people make it through, it gets a lot easier. So far it sounds like you're doing an awesome job! I think the important thing is to take it one day at a time. It's fantastic that you're at almost two days without a cigarette already (hopefully!). It is absolutely something that you can do. Drink lots of water in the first few days to flush the nicotine out! Haha.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike PP For This Useful Post:

Jessi (10-30-2010)

Thanks
    I quit just over 4 years ago, after smoking for about 7 years. I had just finally hit the point where I hated smoking and I was mentally done with it. I used the Commit lozenges to help me, though. I only used 2 boxes of them, though they recommend staying on for longer. It was definitely rough. You basically have to re-learn how to do all of your daily activities without smoking.

I also signed up at http://www.quitnet.com. They have a lot of good resources and an active board/community that can help. It may sound corny, but every time I'd get a craving, I'd go to the bulletin board. They'd encourage you to post each time you have a craving and you'd get instant replies of support. It actually helped me tough through the intense cravings.

I honestly don't know if I could've done it cold turkey.. the lozenges really helped me at work and I was able to gradually ween myself off of them. But if you can do cold turkey, more power to you! I hope this helps somehow... I'm so so so happy I quit.. it's seriously the best decision that I've ever made. Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:

Jessi (10-30-2010)

Thanks
    Also, on that site, you enter information like your age, how many cigarettes you smoke per day, how much each pack costs, and after you set your quit date, it keeps track of how much money you've saved, how many cigarettes you've NOT smoked, and how much you've added to your life. Pretty motivating

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:

Jessi (10-30-2010)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies! I am still doing ok, but my morale is getting kind of low. I'm depressed about other things, so makes me want to smoke. But I'm currently at work and can't leave to go get a pack, so I'm S.O.L. I did have to sit in a waiting room for an hour this morning - THAT was the most I have ever wanted a cigarette in my whole life. I'm also feeling a lot more tired today.

GET WITH THE M.G.M.V.E.

RAMBLINGS OF JESSI

Thanks
    ^ KEEP IT UP!! It's all about WANTING to quit smoking, so keep thinking about this goal and you'll get there. And like Mike said, DRINK A LOT OF WATER! That, and also eat fruits. I read that all this is healthy for you and will help you cope with the "need" (bullshit, we don't need nicotine in our lives! it must be hard if you've been a smoker for a long time, but you can DEFINITELY learn how to live without it, so come on!! you can do it )

+ Reply to Thread