+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips for eating cheaply??

Thanks

Tips for eating cheaply??

So I'm moving back to school in a couple of weeks, and I'm living with a few friends in an apartment-style suite in a dorm on campus... but, since we have a pretty complete kitchen, I'm not having a 15-meals-a-week meal plan like I did last year... I think I'll probably only have like 3-5 meals a week in the dining hall.

I'm hoping to work like 10-15 hours a week and make soooome money at least, but I'm really worried about having to actually... DO MY OWN GROCERY SHOPPING?!?! Last year at school the only things I ever bought to have in my room were snacks and drinks since I had all my meals in the dining hall.

I feel like I just have no clue how much money I'll have to spend on food every week... if it's not too nosy, how much do you Freshies that live alone spend on your weekly groceries?? I really don't eat that much... granola bar for breakfast, sandwich/fruit/veggies/snacks around lunchtime, and then my friends and I will probably share costs and make "family dinners" a lot...

I'm just getting kind of stressed thinking about it!!!!
    ________
    MAZDA S PLATFORM
    Last edited by Gretch; 02-17-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks
    Lol, welcome to the scary adult world Gretch, time to do your own food shopping

I have no clue how much I spend on food, never have! I don't buy all my stuff at once which is probably why, I pick stuff up when I need it. For saving money I think it's just trial and error really, you get to learn where to buy stuff. I used to go to one shop only for sweetcorn cos I knew it was much cheaper there!

There are definitely cheap recipes you can do but I'm a weird eater so I can't help you much there I'm afraid. I would suggest going for stuff that keeps longer so it's not going to be wasted.
    ________
    Medical Marijuana Doctor
    Last edited by Gretch; 02-17-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    For only myself, since I live alone, I spend on average $35 a week on groceries. I only eat breakfast on the weekends (cereal), but I do get NutriGrain bars for during the week. I don't buy anything for lunch. So, most of that cost is for dinner supplies...although I do have some junk food in my home, haha. You can definitely buy cheap ingredients and stuff...I just don't always do that. Fruits and vegetables can be kind of expensive. You should definitely look at the little weekly flier that grocery stores have to show what's on sale.
    ________
    Buy Easy Vape
    Last edited by Gretch; 02-17-2011 at 01:40 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike PP For This Useful Post:

Mario (08-18-2010)

Thanks
    I suck ay buying food for cheap. I mostly eat the diet/low fat food and that's always much more expensive. Also, I buy a lot of veggies and fruits. I hate going to the market. That's probably why my boyfriend does all the food buying. LOL.
    ________
    Wholesale vaporizer
    Last edited by Gretch; 02-17-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    ^Have you ever been to Haymarket in Boston?! They sell suchhh cheap fruits and veggies, I think it's just on weekends, it's like an outdoor market. I don't know if they do it during the winter... probably not. But my roommate last year used to go all the time because she cooked her meals more than eating them in the dining hall so I went a few times and you could get lots of fruits for really cheap prices... I think I'm going to have to go there every weekend to buy my bananas, apples, carrots, grapes, etc. Because places like Shaw's and especially Whole Foods are a rip-offff!
    ________
    Ford Popular Specifications
    Last edited by Gretch; 02-17-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    My favorite "cheapy" is spaghetti or mac and cheese. Especially cooking for one, you can cook it and use it for a few days. To be honest, I live off of frozen food like lean cuisines and chicken nuggets LOLOL. Probably not the best, but I guess... because I am cooking for just myself, I don't really like to cook very often. =/ But you will have roomates, and it'll be fun to make and try different dinners with everyone pitching in. The good thing about the frozen stuff though is sometimes I'll go and if the stuff is on sale i will buy quite a bit... one time I didn't have to go back for 3 weeks LOL. Only maybe a quick trip for the fruits/veggies ha ha.
    ________
    CHEVROLET CORSICA SPECIFICATIONS
    Last edited by Gretch; 02-17-2011 at 01:42 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IStillLoveJ&B For This Useful Post:

Gretch (08-20-2010)

Thanks
    ^Me too, I buy loads of frozen food and then I can stock up and keep it for ages! It doesn't have to be unhealthy stuff and then you can cook it with some veg and potatoes
    ________
    Vaporgenie Vaporizer

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:

Gretch (08-20-2010), IStillLoveJ&B (08-20-2010)

Thanks
    Yeah I have frozen things at home a lot, like if I'm going to work at 5 or 6 and need to eat dinner earlier than my parents are. There are some really good ones! I just don't like to eat them all the time because even when they're low-cal, they have sooo much sodium!!

I think spaghetti and Mac and Cheese are going to become fast friends of mine, haha

And I feel you Steph! I feel like it's going to be hard to coordinate cooking dinners with all of our different schedules, but I'm used to having really good meals cooked by my mom or our school dining hall, so I'm really not going to be cool with just having a bowl of mac and cheese for dinner on my own too many nights a week! Because I certainly wouldn't be up for making a meal with like salad, chicken, rice, etc. for just myself.
    ________
    VAPIR NO2

Thanks
    When I lived in dorms I was like the health freak, I was the only one who cooked proper meals, everyone just ate pasta and pizza, I couldn't do that all the time!
    ________
    Honda Cl450
    Last edited by Gretch; 02-17-2011 at 01:43 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:

Gretch (08-20-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gretch View Post
    ^Have you ever been to Haymarket in Boston?! They sell suchhh cheap fruits and veggies, I think it's just on weekends, it's like an outdoor market. I don't know if they do it during the winter... probably not. But my roommate last year used to go all the time because she cooked her meals more than eating them in the dining hall so I went a few times and you could get lots of fruits for really cheap prices... I think I'm going to have to go there every weekend to buy my bananas, apples, carrots, grapes, etc. Because places like Shaw's and especially Whole Foods are a rip-offff!
    You know, I've been dying to go. I just never get around to it. It is so close to me, just hop on the subway and i'm there. I should probably do this next weekend. I get my stuff at Market Basket, so it comes out to be a little cheaper than Shaw's.
    ________
    Lansing Car Assembly
    Last edited by Gretch; 02-17-2011 at 01:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread