+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cancer

Thanks

Cancer

A DOWNER OF A THREAD.

I just found out today that my aunt has thyroid cancer. My brother told me it was the most treatable type of thyroid cancer, so I hope he's right. It has just really hit me hard, though. My aunt and I are very close. Her daughters, my cousins, are like my sisters. Just the thought of her not making it through this is too much for me to bear. Her physician is on vacation so she has a lot of unanswered questions right now too. Ahhh, it's just so hard!

And to top it off, I'm supposed to be going to visit one of my cousins in Myrtle Beach on Wednesday with my other cousin (so, two of her daughters)! So this is going to be a tough trip, I think.

So, I don't know. Have any of you had any instances with cancer? Have you been directly affected by it through family or friends?

Thanks
    im sorry to hear that.

cancer is a HUGE thing in my family. My grandmother was just currently diagnosed and im to the point know where i know from past experiences that you have to have a positive outlook on life and enjoy day by day you dont take time with that person for granted.

Just try to make sure she keeps a positive outlook on life. That is probably one of the most important things for her to do. Be supportive but not a downer. Shell need someone there to be confident because there will be plenty of times were shell be in the dumps and think the worst.

Britney Spears / Kristen Bell / Emma Roberts / Jamie Spears / Carrie Underwood / Lauren Conrad

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post:

Mike PP (07-23-2010)

Thanks
    Aw I'm sorry Mike I'm glad to hear it seems treatable, so hopefully she's in the clear before too long!

My uncle had cancer but I'm not sure how serious it was cos I never see him, he's alright now anyway! The worst case that I've experienced is one of my best and oldest friends from home's sister. She had skin cancer and died last year aged only 36 It's so sad cos they are the nicest family you could ever meet. I've known them all my life and all my family are friends with their family. I didn't know the sister that well but I went to the funeral, only one I've ever been to!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:

Mike PP (07-23-2010)

Thanks
    Aww Mike that's so tough, I'm really sorry I'll keep your aunt and the rest of your family in my thoughts and prayers. That's really good that it's a treatable form. I mean you never know what cancer can do, but it sounds like it could be worse. I have a distant relative (she's my cousin's cousin's wife lol, not blood-related at allllll) who had that, and she went through treatment pretty quickly and is cancer-free now I think. The toughest part was that she got pregnant during the treatment (everyone was pretttttty frustrated/mad/upset at them for that one), and her baby was born with a non-cancerous tumor they took care of and now has kind of a lazy eye.

*KNOCK ON WOOD* No one in my immediate or extended family had ever been touched by cancer until this past year. My grandma who is about to turn 77 was diagnosed with breast cancer... it really hit me hard when I found out, because I have a really big extended family (grandparents, 15+ aunts and uncles, 15 cousins, 4 of my cousins' kids) and no one has ever had cancer. I grew up seeing all my friends' families deal with grandparents, aunts, uncles, even parents, get diagnosed with cancer and then when I'm 19, my youngest and healthiest grandparent gets diagnosed with it.

I don't think her longterm prognosis is the best because it's stage 3, but she was really strong before treatment and they're being really aggressive with chemo and radiation so we're hoping for the best. It's just really tough because my grandpa died 10 years ago (he was only 67) and it's sad hearing her talk about how sick she's feeling and how much she hates this all. Obviously my family is good about making sure she's not sitting at home sick and alone all the time but everyone's busy so it's definitely hard.

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gretch For This Useful Post:

Mike PP (07-23-2010)

Thanks
    Thats really distressing, Mike! I hope things work out for her and your whole family <3 Try keep your hopes up knowing its one of the more treatable kinds.

I've had a few experiences with cancer in my life. The first was with a friends' dad. it was really tough because their entire family was like family to me! I considered their kids to be like my siblings, their mom to be like my second mom and the same applied for the dad! It was even worse for me because he passed the DAY my mom and I had left for summer vacation, so it was about the first thing we found out when we landed in the UK. It was really hard having to be so far away during such tough times.

My other experience was with my best friends' mom. It was really hard to go through just because she was my best friends idol and role model in life, a really strong woman! She died quite young as well

One thing I've come to realise you should probably do is, though you want to be there for them as much as possible and be supportive, don't try and actually baby them. They feel bad enough about whats going on itself for them to think of themselves being a burden on anyone else. It lowers their morale and can frustrate them even more to the point where they don't like being seen as a different person than they were before in terms of how they're being treated.

Again, my best goes out to your aunt and you family, Mike <3
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    Among our extended family and friends, a lot of people have died from cancer. The youngest was just 15, and another was only 31.

We had visitors today, and one of them mentioned to my GF that she had breast cancer. My GF only told me about it later and I was sooo shocked.

Thanks
    I'm so sorry to hear that, Mike. Hopefully it is treatable

My Auntie Val passed from breast cancer 3 years ago. It was quite weird as my Uncle started dating someone really soon after, and this woman (who he is still with) is the spitting image of Val... So creepy.
    COOCHIE COOCHIE
    COOCH COOCH COOCH

+ Reply to Thread