+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice on a job situation...

Thanks

Need advice on a job situation...

I just had an interview for my first "real" job, as in not babysitting and not tutoring haha. It was at a local Au Bon Pain, and I would work there starting like next week through the beginning of September.

In my ideal world, I would have a job that I could work maybe 20-30 hours a week at, weekdays, with occassional weekends.

This job could be 30+ hours a week and apparently I need to be available to work basically every weekend. The problem is, I already have a number of weekends I wouldn't be able to work. I told him I would need a week off in June for CMA Fest, and one off in August for my family vacation. And then on top of that, like 3 other weekends. He was so vague and all over the place, talking about this and that. At first he made it seem like it would be tough to make that work, but then he kept telling me how easy it is to trade shifts with people, etc.

I also have applications in at 3 clothing stores that I would MUCH rather work at, and they said they'd look at applications and start interviews this week.... but I would start the Au Bon Pain job this week, like I would meet the big supervisor Monday and maybe start Tuesday.

BLAAAAAAAAAAH. I don't want to pass this job up because it's too many hours and weekends, only to not be able to find another job. But I also don't want to take this, not be able to get the weekends I need off and be miserable, and find out that I could have had a much more enjoyable job at American Eagle.

I think what I'm going to do is just be honest and ask if the number of weekends I need off is going to be work-able, and tell him that I'm really not open to working a full-time 40 hour a week job.

I've never had a job at any type of food or retail place... does this seem reasonable? I'm really just not sure of what is asking too much on my part, and what is totally reasonable and do-able. Input???

Sorry this was so rambly lol.

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

Thanks
    You could always take the job then see how it goes with the others and if you get another job just quit. It messes them about a bit which is the only problem but they're bound to have other people lined up.

I work weekends and evenings so I know what it's like to have other things get in the way! If they're flexible with swapping shifts it could work though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:

Gretch (05-09-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    You could always take the job then see how it goes with the others and if you get another job just quit. It messes them about a bit which is the only problem but they're bound to have other people lined up.

I work weekends and evenings so I know what it's like to have other things get in the way! If they're flexible with swapping shifts it could work though.
    Yeah I was kind of thinking about doing that but I don't know if that's a really nasty move?? I mean I guess I shouldn't really care if it annoys them a lot seeing as I probably wouldn't ever go back there to get a job again, but I'm just too nice of a person lol.

Thanks
    Gretch, do what Daisy said. If they offer you the job, take it and if something better comes along, quit Au Bon Pain. Seriously. Do not worry if it's a nasty move or not because (not that they would) but they could fire you at any time. There is no loyalty in business. Trust me. First and foremost comes you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike PP For This Useful Post:

Gretch (05-09-2010)

Thanks
    Okay, the only thing about taking the job and quitting is because it is your first real job, when you go to your next job it will look pretty bad. I will also tell you *this* about trading shifts. Someone has to be *willing* to trade with you, so you have to hope you end up working with some pretty nice people. I would think everyone would heart you (cause let's face it, who couldn't) but especially being the new girl you are gonna be the low man on the totem pole. You are going to be the last to get time off, and you are gonna have to hope and rely on others to switch shifts.

I don't really care about it being "nasty", like take the job and quit if you can't get your time off. Every man for themselves I just worry about what your next place will say when they see you quit pretty quickly. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT since you already have apps in other places, and if you get one of those it won't matter. Maybe you can stall and see if you are able to get one of the others?

Walmart was my first job and the pissed me off so much. I got hired in the summer, I said straight out. Right now I have open availability, but come September I am back in school and will have to adjust my hours. They said no problem whatsoever... hired me. But when September came they gave me all sorts of crap about 'We ONLY hired you based on your availibility'. Basically threatened to fire me if I couldn't work when they watned to, I said too bad then fire me, because I was very up front about it. They ended up working with me. They tried to screw with me and only give me like 1 day a week for a while (until later when people quit and they needed help), but I was happy to work 1 day a week, I only needed gas money so the joke was on them

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IStillLoveJ&B For This Useful Post:

Gretch (05-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thanks guys Steph I was kind of worried about what you mentioned, too! Like if I put that place down on my resume and then a future interviewer wants to call the guy as a reference... obviously not going to have the best things to say about me haha .

I think that I'm just going to say flatout to the guy when he calls, which is either today or tomorrow... " I am very interested in this job, but before you hire me, I just want to make sure of a couple things, so neither of us gets treated unfairly... I'm really only open to working in the 20-30 hours a week range, and I'm really adament about getting the 2 weeks and couple other weekends I need off, because there are many big family events I can't miss this summer. If you were looking for someone more full-time with EVERY weekend available, I understand if you need to find someone else."

Honestly I think he will be willing to work with me, because my best friend is also interviewing there and I told another friend to go apply there, and as far as I know he doesn't really have any other applicants. I would think that between the 3 of us he could fill whatever hours he's looking for, and he kept saying how much he liked me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gretch For This Useful Post:

IStillLoveJ&B (05-09-2010)

Thanks
    Sounds like a good plan!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy For This Useful Post:

Gretch (05-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thanks! I'm nervous. I don't want to sound like a diva. But honestly I would just feel bad if they were counting on me to work all this time and I take the job, and then I'm constantly like "Nope. Can't work then, sorry!". Because I started this job hunt looking for a weekday-only job. Not that the guy hiring me will/does care about that, but I went into this job hunt KNOWING that I already have a lot of weekend obligations and outtings, so I purposely said on all my applications that I could only work some weekends, because I didn't want to just be like "Yeahh I can work whenever!" and then make it difficult for people.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gretch For This Useful Post:

IStillLoveJ&B (05-09-2010)

Thanks
    Gretch, that sounds like a perfect plan. It isn't you sounding like a diva, it's you being realistic. Plus, as long as you make it crystal clear, then it's on them. So if you had to quit (which I hope you don't), and you apply for another job, you can say I told them what was up, they said they'd work with me, and then they didn't.

But I really think they will work with you, and I'm super excited for you Keep us posted on what's going on.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to IStillLoveJ&B For This Useful Post:

Gretch (05-10-2010)

+ Reply to Thread