+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Your Favorite Show In Danger?

Thanks

Is Your Favorite Show In Danger?

Source: TV Guide

Is Your Favorite Show in Danger?

The new fall TV season means plenty of promising new shows and canceling struggling old ones to make room. As the networks roll out new programs this month at their upfront presentations to advertisers, here's our list of 13 at-risk shows. Many have posted significant ratings declines. Others are expensive to produce, getting old, or just aren't performing as well as their time-slot rivals. Read about the issues each faces and then weigh in on which shows deserve to stay or go.

Caprica (Fridays at 9/8c, Syfy)
    Issues: The heir apparent to Battlestar Galactica hasn't performed at nearly the same level, averaging just 1.1 million viewers over its first nine episodes. (The second half of its first season will air some time later this year). More bad news: Stargate Universe: SGU, its closest relative at the network in subject matter and ratings, has already been renewed for a second season.

Cold Case (Sundays at 10/9c, CBS)
    Issues: Although the show pulls in a fairly steady average of 10 million viewers each week, it consistently underperforms in the desirable 18-to-49-year-olds demo. High production costs and the fact that CBS almost canceled it last year make another renewal unlikely.

FlashForward (Thursdays at 8/7c, ABC)
    Issues: The show's intriguing concept has failed to deliver much in the way of genuine revelation, which may account for the show's plummeting ratings. Its most recent episode only attracted 5.1 million viewers. The producers' room has a revolving door on it lately, a sign that the show might not be around much longer.

Heroes (Mondays at 9/8c, NBC)
    Issues: Season 4 saw this one-time ratings powerhouse hit new lows nearly every week, averaging between 4 million and 5 million viewers an episode. The show is a moneymaker on DVD and in international markets, however, so there's buzz about a truncated fifth season to close the series out.

Human Target (Wednesdays, 8/7c, Fox)
    Issues: Male viewers haven't flocked to this graphic novel-based action series in the numbers Fox hoped for, but the show is still winning its time slot, albeit one of the week's least competitive.

Life Unexpected (Mondays at 8/7c, CW)
    Issues: Critics love the show, but viewers are more lukewarm. The CW has announced several early renewals (90210, Gossip Girl, Smallville, Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries), but the list conspicuously did not include this midseason addition.

Medium (Fridays at 9/8c, CBS)
    Issues: The former NBC drama has been a nice fit in CBS' Friday lineup and consistently wins its timeslot, but after six years, Medium has become pretty expensive. It's not in as dire a position as Cold Case, however, and its survival will likely depend on the strength of CBS' development slate.

Melrose Place (Wednesdays at 9/8c, CW)
    Issues: The network ordered up a creative change in direction in the fall that included casting changes, a new showrunner and more Heather Locklear. Thus far, the ratings haven't improved, and it was also left off CW's early-renewals list. Jessica Lucas recently signed on to the NBC pilot Friends with Benefits, which certainly isn't a good sign.

Mercy (Wednesdays at 8/7c, NBC)
    Issues: Though it does well with a female demo, it's not a young female demo. Its last new episode attracted 5.5 million viewers, which wasn't enough to win its time slot. A three-week hiatus this month may have hurt its momentum.

Numb3rs (Fridays at 10/9c, CBS)
    Issues: The show's episode order was chopped drastically to make way for newcomer Miami Medical. Creatively, the show's season finale felt like a good-bye, and series star David Krumholtz has already landed a gig in Ron Howard's IRS comedy pilot at Fox.

One Tree Hill (Mondays at 8/7c, CW)
    Issues: After losing a chunk of its cast this season, the series is showing serious signs of age. However, its average audience of 2.3 million viewers is more devoted than those of other CW shows (including Melrose Place and 90210.)

Trauma (Mondays at 9/8c, NBC)
    Issues: This expensive, action-heavy drama has kind of already been canceled once. In October, NBC announced that it would not be ordering any new episodes past the original 13. When the network's late-night schedule imploded, Jay Leno's departure from prime time freed up real estate, and NBC ordered seven more episodes. With its ratings on the decline this spring after a three-month hiatus, the order was cut back to 18; the final episode aired April 26. And that's probably final.

V (Tuesdays at 10/9c, ABC)
    Issues: The show's Olympics-mandated hiatus seems to have hurt its momentum. Though critics like the show's new episodes, it's getting killed by The Good Wife in its timeslot. Lately, NBC's Parenthood is beating it as well.

Have your favorites made the cut? See the list below and check back often for the latest renewal/cancellation news:

RENEWED

30 Rock (NBC)
    90210 (CW)
    The Amazing Race (CBS)
    American Dad (Fox)
    America's Next Top Model (CW)
    The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
    Bones (Fox)
    Brothers & Sisters (ABC)
    Castle (ABC)
    The Cleveland Show (Fox)
    Community (NBC)
    Cougar Town (ABC)
    Family Guy (Fox)
    Friday Night Lights (NBC)
    Fringe (Fox)
    Glee (Fox)
    Gossip Girl (CW)
    The Good Wife (CBS)
    How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
    The Middle (ABC)
    Modern Family (ABC)
    NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS)
    The Office (NBC)
    Parenthood (NBC)
    Parks and Recreation (NBC)
    The Simpsons (Fox)
    Smallville (CW)
    Supernatural (CW)
    Survivor (CBS)
    Two and a Half Men (CBS)
    The Vampire Diaries (CW)

LOOKING GOOD

Accidentally on Purpose (CBS)
    American Idol (Fox)
    The Bachelor (ABC)
    The Biggest Loser (NBC)
    Celebrity Apprentice (NBC)
    Chuck (NBC)
    Criminal Minds (CBS)
    CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (CBS)
    CSI: Miami (CBS)
    CSI: NY (CBS)
    Dancing with the Stars (ABC)
    Desperate Housewives (ABC)
    Gary Unmarried (CBS)
    Ghost Whisperer (CBS)
    Grey's Anatomy (ABC)
    House (Fox)
    Human Target (Fox)
    Law & Order (NBC)
    Law & Order: SVU (NBC)
    Lie to Me (Fox)
    Medium (CBS)
    The Mentalist (CBS)
    NCIS (CBS)
    New Adventures of Old Christine (CBS)
    One Tree Hill (CW)
    Private Practice (ABC)
    Rules of Engagement (CBS)
    V (ABC)

NOT LOOKING SO GOOD

Better Off Ted (ABC)
    Cold Case (CBS)
    The Deep End (ABC)
    FlashForward (ABC)
    The Forgotten (ABC)
    Heroes (NBC)
    Life Unexpected (CW)
    Melrose Place (CW)
    Mercy (NBC)
    Miami Medical (CBS)
    Numb3rs (CBS)
    Trauma (NBC)

CANCELED/ENDING

24 (Fox)
    The Beautiful Life: TBL (CW)
    Brothers (Fox)
    Dollhouse (Fox)
    Eastwick (ABC)
    Hank (ABC)
    Lost (ABC)
    Past Life (Fox)
    Scrubs (ABC)
    Sons of Tucson (Fox)
    Three Rivers (CBS)
    'Til Death (Fox)
    Ugly Betty (ABC)

Thanks
    i like melrose place, i know its not the BEST but its still entertaining to me! plus ella is super hot and lauren is a pleasure to look at too lol

Rock n Roll

Thanks
    Phewf! I don't watch any shows on the cancelled/ending or the not looking good list... all the ones I like are already renewed or looking good

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

Thanks
    They better bring back Melrose!

Thanks
    So glad that "30 Rock" and "Fringe" are coming back!!

Thanks
    At this point, i couldn't care less if "Heroes" stays or goes. There was a time when it was one of my favorite shows on TV. I remember defending it when naysayers complained about the quality of season 2, and even part of season 3. But the show has become almost unbearable for me now.

I do watch "V" and "FlashForward", but i feel like they are just ABC's half hearted attempt to fill the Sci-fi quota after Lost is gone. I don't think a show "FlashForward" really has a long shelf life either, without it becoming redundant or ridiculous. "V" is my favorite of the two, mostly because of Elizabeth Mitchell, and my amazement that there are actually Aliens on prime-time TV. I also cannot stand the protagonist of FF. He is a major douche.

Basically the only 'on-the-bubble' shows i care about are are FF, V, and Medium.

I am pleased, and a little surprised, that Fringe has been renewed. Jolly good then.

And can i just say, "Rules Of Engagement" is STILL on TV? I had no idea. That show is terrible.

Thanks
    I only watch Modern Family and Cougar Town at this point, and I knew those were golden

I feel bad about better off ted, I forgot about that show It wasn't that bad. And Til Death with brad garrett, I thought it was cancelled already, but taht show was really funny.

Thanks
    I'm so happy 30 Rock, Big Bang, The Office, Parks and Recreation, and Community are coming back. I love those shows. <3

Caprica is a very intriguing show but I just couldn't keep up.

♥ ♥ ♥

icon and graphic by
    Me.

Thanks
    Great, 'Flashforward' just got the axe

Im with Chris, though! I feel like the concept of the show was really intriguing but the overall execution is pretty flawed! Im still gonna miss it!

And Chris, seriously...you kinda scare me! Both 'FF' AND 'V' AND a bunch of other movies in common!? Haha amazing! So glad someone else watched 'V' on here! <3 Also, so glad it got renewed!!
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    Oh, I've been liking "V" a lot lately! The dialogue and acting can get on my nerves sometimes, but the story has been so good. It's really exciting.

So glad "Flashforward" got the ax. Such a disappointing show. It could've been sooooo much better but it just got crazy.

I'm happy "Heroes" just got canceled too. That show hadn't been good in ages.

+ Reply to Thread