+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Possible Big Changes

Thanks

Possible Big Changes

The lack of activity on the boards has not gone unnoticed. This place is very important to me, as I'm sure it is to a lot of you as well. We've been a community for so long that I don't feel like letting this place die is an option. I hope you all feel the same.

With the decrease in activity, the Staff has been tossing around a few ideas. Nothing is set in stone; we are still thinking of possible solutions. We do, however, want to run by the ideas with our members as we think of them so that we can gain feedback before a final decision is made. Also, we are more than open to any suggestions you may have.

Currently, we are kicking around the idea of making this a Britney Spears forum like it was in a previous incarnation. We are not sure how possible it is to change the URL/forum name and we haven't talked about it with Brian yet, but it's something we're thinking of. It probably wouldn't happen until more Britney news starts coming so we can capitalize on her own publicity. But that would give us plenty of time to prepare and properly launch the revamped forums. We were hoping to find an affiliate to help us out as well.

How do you all feel about the idea of focusing on Britney Spears? Do you think it's possible that if we do this, we can maybe get some more members so our shrinking community can grow?

Also, what do you guys think is the main reason for people either leaving the forums completely or only showing up sporadically? Is there something we can do in the meantime to prevent this?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike PP For This Useful Post:

Angel (05-05-2010), IStillLoveJ&B (04-29-2010), Jennifer (04-29-2010), Jonny (04-29-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike PP View Post
    Also, what do you guys think is the main reason for people either leaving the forums completely or only showing up sporadically? Is there something we can do in the meantime to prevent this?
    Having been posting on this forum, and several other forums for years, I have somewhat come to a conclusion. I think it's because people have realized that online friendships really are very false, and even if you have online friends who you feel very close to, it's basically a false closeness. There's this one online friend I have had for almost 5 years now. We would talk online daily, up to like 3 or 4 times a day almost, mainly about Sesame Street, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy. But he never told me his last name, or even showed me a picture of him. In fact, one time when he showed me a picture of him with Vanna White, he covered his face. That's how badly he did NOT want me knowing what he looked like.

But one day, just a few months ago, something led to me finding out his last name, what he looks like, and a LOT of information about him that I never knew. And up until this point, I thought I knew him well enough, but see, even though I didn't really know him, I made a lot of speculations about him, a lot of which turned out to be wrong, and I really learned a lot about him.

So, in conclusion, nobody in this community really knows each other. Well, there are a few people here who have met in real life, but for the most part, it's nothing but an online friendship. Also, I noticed that most people on here are around my age (25). When WoB started back in 2000 or so, I think most of us were 14, and simply did not have as big a sense of the world. We are now adults, and have much more important things in our lives to worry about than "Internet drama." Many of us have already graduated from college, and I think some are now married and have kids. It's just like trying to keep in touch with everyone from high school. It won't really make much sense to keep in touch with everyone from high school throughout your whole life, because as you get older, everyone travels down different paths, and you have less and less in common with the people you grew up with. It is definitely sad in some ways, but it's because you find lots of exciting and beautiful things to do that are far better than posting on a message board. But just like your hometown, I think TFZ should remain a place in our hearts forever, and shall never be forgotten.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Geoffrey For This Useful Post:

Jonny (04-29-2010)

Kel Guest
    I'm about to leave too Sorry guys. I've already sent a letter with a request to delete my account, but it hasn't been done yet.

And now that you want to change that to a BS forum, I will even more likely have nothing to do here anymore, I always had the Britney news disabled.

But, hope that means more new members and more activity, good luck!

Thanks
    I think making it a Britney forum would be good. That is how we all start anyways.

I think the forum is getting slow b/c most of us are growing up and have a lot more stuff to do now. When ever I joined WOB I was lie 12 or 13 so I had plenty of time to sit at a computer all day. Now I'm in college and work full-time so I'm not home hardly ever now. I'm sure other members are the same way.
    Your Way To Financial Freedom

Own Your Own Money Tree - Click for Details

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vanilla Rice For This Useful Post:

ImpossibleSecret (05-06-2010)

Thanks
    Turning TFZ into a Britney Spears forum is a great idea, but those can get overcrowded and maybe we should try focusing on a few different artists to expand the appeal? As said before, part of what hurts TFZ is that it's too general. That's why we don't get a lot of new members. So we need to find something good to focus on and I think we also need to promote mote.

Sadly, what Geoffrey said is true.
    People grow up, lose interest, and don't stay friends with people online for long.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonny For This Useful Post:

Geoffrey (04-30-2010), ImpossibleSecret (05-06-2010)

Thanks
    Yeah, I understand that people move on and get busy with their lives and that's totally cool. That's only part of the problem. In other forums, that happens too because it's natural, but they will get new members so the forum doesn't end up struggling.

Thanks for the feedback, though. We need to talk to Brian about how do-able it is to fully change this to a Britney forum. Has anyone had any experience with it? General forums are definitely tough to manage because nobody searches for something general.

Hopefully we can do this and turn things around. It would be great to see this place hopping again!

Does anyone know any Britney websites that we could possibly become affiliated with?

Thanks
    I agree that TFZ shouldn't be allowed to die. It is very much a community, and some of us here have been online friends for a VERY long time. I agree that TFZ should become a Britney forum, even if only because every forum needs to have SOME kind of focus. And TFZ only really comes alive when Britney does something.

Another idea, which is really old but still seems to work, is to have a list of featured artists and celebrities and a sub-forum for each of them. That gives SEVERAL focus points with discussion topics that potential members may find while Googling. The featured artists list would have to be kept fresh and constantly reviewed as new names arrive with a bang then fade away.

The problem with general forums is that they really AREN'T general, they're just non-specific, and most of the topics are really only of interest to a very small minority of people and there isn't much to discuss about them anyway.

I have a feeling that most of us spend a fair proportion of our days talking about SOMETHING, so maybe we should all sit in a darkened room and think for a while about the kinds of thing you normally talk about to your friends, whether live or on Skype, MSN, AIM or whatever.

I agree very much with Geoffrey that we've all changed. I can hardly imagine myself as that slutty, annoying, argumentative little sex-addict that most people hated on TMR. Now I'm almost respectable!

One thing that always attracts ME to a forum is when the staff interacts with me, sending me PMs, encouraging and cajoling me, gossiping about who's saying what and what's going on behind the scenes, etc. etc. It makes me feel like the forum is a living, breathing community - not some inanimate wall where you can write a remark and not care if anyone reads it or not. Uncle Dave didn't always like me, but I felt his constant presence and he seemed to sense when my morale was low and I was depressed. He did that for a lot of people. For the sake of community, I think TFZ needs someone to do the same job he used to do.

I'd like to talk to other members about these and other subjects. Unfortunately I'm gonna be away for over a week from Saturday, so please don't assume that I'm not saying anything more because I'm not interested.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jennifer For This Useful Post:

Geoffrey (04-30-2010), Gretch (04-29-2010), ImpossibleSecret (05-06-2010), IStillLoveJ&B (04-30-2010), Jonny (04-29-2010), Neil (05-03-2010)

Thanks
    I agree that maybe having a few points of focus would be good. Especially since Britney isn't currently doing anything too exciting, she might not be a big attention grabber.

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gretch For This Useful Post:

Jonny (04-29-2010)

Thanks
    Britney should be our anchor artist, but aside from her we should probably try to feature rising artists who have some buzz around them but aren't being talked about on a million other forums. It's a bit late for us to start featuring Lady GaGa......

I think people would enjoy a section like "Have you heard......?" where members could introduce artists who have impressed them, and talk about them for a while.

A trend I've seen on forums lately, which I think we should avoid at all costs, is "talking YouTube", where a thread consists of someone posting a YouTube clip that's supposed to be funny, and one or two people with the same sense of the ridiculous "reply" with further YouTube clips. This really does kill conversation and exludes a lot of people.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennifer For This Useful Post:

ImpossibleSecret (05-06-2010), Jonny (04-29-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike PP
    We need to talk to Brian about how do-able it is to fully change this to a Britney forum. Has anyone had any experience with it?
    What do you mean exactly?

+ Reply to Thread