+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kylie Minogue "Aphrodite"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I love the greek mythology theme because not only is it something that Kylie has never done before, its also something that none of her competition is doing/ has done before either, so that should work in her favor.

When she was on her North American tour in the fall, she was getting a lot of remarks about similarities to Lady Gaga, with all the haute couture, space-age, cyborg style and imagery, which, as a long time Kylie stan, was extremely frustrating. Anyone who knows anything about Kylie will know that she is the queen of cyborgs and crazy outfits! So to have people suggest that by Kylie doing what she does best, she is somehow copying Lady Gaga is kind of absurd. So hopefully that wont happen this time around.
    Absurd is the word for it. I remember the Fever tour opening out fit which was all over the top and took a while to take off on the stage. I forgot Kylie does stuff like that...but she keeps it on the stage.

BritneyFanForever

Thanks
    Björk is THE craziest bitch by excellence, and Cher did the "over the top outfits" waaaaay before.

Thanks
    Well yes, but i meant in comparison between the two. Kylie is by no means the inventor of crazy outfits anymore then Gaga, but Kylie has been doing it for years. etc etc.

Anywho, "All The Lovers" has been produced by Kish Mauve, which is quite interesting to hear, given that they are the ones who produced "2 Hearts", which although i love, wasn't exactly what kylie was needing to set the charts on fire. I'm sure the new single doesn't sound anything like 2 Hearts, but its just funny that it turned out that way, since they seem to be trying very hard to right all the wrongs they made during the last era.

And in other news, it would appear that Richard X has contributed a song to the album as well. No word on whether or not it will make the cut, but can i just say, FINALLY!

Thanks
    "All The Lovers" Has arrived!!!

Plus, the album tracklist!

ALL THE LOVERS
    Written by Jim Elliot & Mima Stilwell
    Produced by Jim Eliot
    Additional production and mix by Stuart Price

GET OUTTA MY WAY
    Written by Cutfather: Lucas Secon, Damon Sharpe, Peter Wallevik, Daniel Davidsen & Mitch Hansen
    Produced by Cutfather, Peter Wallevik & Daniel Davidsen
. Co-produced by Damon Sharpe, Lucas Secon & Stuart Price

PUT YOUR HANDS UP (IF YOU FEEL LOVE)
    Written by Fin Dow-Smith, The Nervo Girls
    Produced by Starsmith. Co-produced by Stuart Price. Additional vocal production by Nervo.
    Mixed by Starsmith and Stuart Price

CLOSER
    Written by Stuart Price & Beatrice Hatherley
    Produced & mixed by Stuart Price

EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL
    Written by Fraser T Smith & Tim Rice-Oxley (“Keane”)
    Produced and mixed by Fraser T Smith

APHRODITE
    Written & produced by Nerina Pallot & Andy Chatterley

ILLUSION
    Written by Kylie Minogue & Stuart Price

BETTER THAN TODAY

TOO MUCH
    Written by Kylie Minogue, Calvin Harris & Jake Shears
    Produced and mixed by Calvin Harris.

CUPID BOY
    Written by Sebastian Ingrosso (“Swedish House Mafia”), Magnus Lidehall, Nick Clow & Luciana Caporaso
    Produced & mixed by Stuart Price & Sebastian Ingrosso & Magnus

LOOKING FOR AN ANGEL

CAN’T BEAT THE FEELING
    Written by Hannah Robinson, Pascal Gabriel, Borge Fjordheim, Matt Prime & Richard X
    Produced by Stuart Price, Pascal Gabriel & Borge Fjordheim.
    Mixed by Stuart Price

Read more: http://www.popjustice.com/#ixzz0nuo18Vd3

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

ImpossibleSecret (05-15-2010)

Thanks
    I love it! It's so much better than anything from her last record (I was really not a fan...I liked "Two Hearts" for like a day!).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    "All The Lovers" Has arrived!!!

Plus, the album tracklist!

ALL THE LOVERS
    Written by Jim Elliot & Mima Stilwell
    Produced by Jim Eliot

GET OUTTA MY WAY
    Written by Cutfather: Lucas Secon, Damon Sharpe, Peter Wallevik, Daniel Davidsen & Mitch Hansen
    Produced by Cutfather, Peter Wallevik & Daniel Davidsen
. Co-produced by Damon Sharpe, Lucas Secon & Stuart Price

PUT YOUR HANDS UP (IF YOU FEEL LOVE)
    Written by Fin Dow-Smith, The Nervo Girls
    Produced by Starsmith. Co-produced by Stuart Price. Additional vocal production by Nervo.
    Mixed by Starsmith and Stuart Price

CLOSER
    Written by Stuart Price & Beatrice Hatherley

EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL
    Written by Fraser T Smith & Tim Rice-Oxley (“Keane”)
    Produced and mixed by Fraser T Smith

APHRODITE

ILLUSION

BETTER THAN TODAY

TOO MUCH
    Written by Kylie Minogue, Calvin Harris & Jake Shears
    Produced and mixed by Calvin Harris.

CUPID BOY
    Written by Sebastian Ingrosso (“Swedish House Mafia”), Magnus Lidehall, Nick Clow & Luciana Caporaso
    Produced & mixed by Stuart Price & Sebastian Ingrosso & Magnus

LOOKING FOR AN ANGEL

CAN’T BEAT THE FEELING
    Written by Hannah Robinson, Pascal Gabriel, Borge Fjordheim, Matt Prime & Richard X
    Produced by Stuart Price, Pascal Gabriel & Borge Fjordheim.
    Mixed by Stuart Price

Read more: http://www.popjustice.com/#ixzz0nuo18Vd3
    T4P

I love the look of this album.

I love All The Lovers. I seriously just love it. It's soulful and dancy at the same time. Damn proud of her for doing it!

BritneyFanForever

Thanks
    I'm loooving this!!

Thanks
    I thought X was a great record...I can't wait to hear this one! I am loving "All The Lovers"!

Britney Fan Forever.

Thanks

Aphrodite Spoilers!

Track by track review from Attitude Magazine by Colin C.

OH MY GODDES !
    Is KYLIE's 11th album, Aphrodite, the soundtrack for summer? Attitude exclusively reviews every track to find out

Here is the news; Aphrodite is back-to-basics Kylie. It's cohesive, precisely thought out record that slots in more as a progression from Light Years and Fever than Body Language and X. The latter two - while having classic Kylie moments - suffered from a lack of direction or in X's case, too many.
    Album number 11 does not suffer from the same fate. It is direct, concise and very bothered about getting you on a dancefloor and keeping you there for the next 12 tracks. Producer Stuart Price has said he wanted to create a houseparty feel for the record, with each track building on the last, at which largely Aphrodite succeeds (though the be honest, there may be a moment or two when you can pop in the loo).
    If Aphrodite in the main sticks to a to a tried and tested clubbing beat of falling in and out of love on the dancefloor, there are moments when there's at least a nod to her reality and it's there that lift Aphrodite into classic Kylie territory. To be completely GAY about it: it's like she's talking to us. It's in All The Lovers sense of romantic history, in the title track's line "I was gone and now I'm back" and the gung ho fighting spirit of Better Than Today.

ALL THE LOVERS
    All The Lovers works because it sound quintessentially Kylie.
    High points: the bit where the piano comes in half way through the second verse, simultaneously adding melancholy to the euphoria; the middle eight breakdown-glitter-explosion; the sentiment at it's heart which might touch upon the feelings of a 41-year-old woman.

GET OUTTA MY WAY
    The first indication of where Aphrodite is going, Get Outta My Way sounds like a potential single that would work in the way Love At First Sight did, AKA take over the summer's dancefloors. It's got a big pulsating beat, verses that build and a punchy throw-some-shapes chorus. Aphrodite is about creating archetypical dance floor fillers and as a result, routinely throws off brilliant middle eights. This track is no exception - a bid handclaps-meets-Keane piano line before the whole thing explodes again.

PUT YOUR HANDS UP
    Put Your Hands Up is similarly straightforward euphoria, powered by fizzy, pinball machine effects. If Aphrodite's concept is a weekend in Mykonos, then this is the bit when it's 6am, you're on stage and dancing like a loon. An instant, memorable highlight that's like Kylie doing David Guetta. Big.

CLOSER
    The backbone of this Stuart Price track, written with Zoot Woman collaborator Beatrice Hatherley has an ornate orchestral prog rock backdrop. It's one of the subtlest tracks on the album. Lie the title track of Fever, it's track four and provides tge first break from the traditional European dance euphoria that's gone before. Think Daft Punk with breathy Impossible Princess era Kylie, um, breathing all over it.

EVERYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL
    The closest the album comes to a ballad in the traditional sense and since it's co written by Tim Rice-Oxley, it's got more than a whiff of Keane about it. It's no bad thing, but you could probably enjoy that loo break at this point... except if there's a queue, you might miss the next track.

APHRODITE
    Which you will LOVE. It's underpinned by a Rhythm Nation marching band sound, a classic early 90's piano line before moving into twinkly territory with the line "this song lets you in", a hint of what's to come. Lyrically the's more delights: "It's the truth, it's a fact, I was gone and now I'm back" showing Kylie's incorporating the now accepted "X wasn't the comeback it should have been" narrative into her version of events. Essentially Aphrodite has got the nod to struggles, musical and otherwise, which Kylie famously shies away from. How about this chorus line for delivering that in spades? "I'm fierce, and I'm feeling mighty. I'm a golden girl I'm an Aphrodite." It's likely to experience the same campaign as Your Disco Needs You to get it released as a single.

ILLUSION
    First of thee co writes by Kylie, this is about doubting a lover's sincerity, with lines such as "Like the headlines of a magazine, are you what you seem?" it's powered by a ping pong keyboard melody over super moody synths and is probably the first time Aphrodite hits thematically rocky waters. If we're to take the Mykonos allegory a little further (stay with us on this one) it's the bit in your summer romance where you catch your Greek barman lover dry humping some bit of flesh in the sand dunes. Sadness.

BETTER THAN TODAY
    According to Stuart Price, the old grey whistle test for potential album tracks was wether or not Kylie could do them in her best Dolly parton. Better Than Today is perhaps the point at which this way of selecting a hit reaches it's zenith. It's brilliantly, determinedly Dolly. It's also the perfect antidote to all the mood glitch that went before. Better Than Today is a kitschy retro line-dancing number with walk-down-the-high-street-and-feel-empowered "use it/lose it" chorus.

TOO MUCH
    Co writer Jake Shears told us this '90s track is the worst on the album, which does it a disservice. Perhaps though, in the way Fever tailed off before final track Burning Up, Too Much feels less special than what's gone before.

CUPID BOY
    The bridge of this sounds similar to the chorus of Boombox, but this heavily layered song is a slave to more conventional pop dance sounds, even if it's underpinned in it's interims by guitars, like Sugababes' About You Now.

LOOKING FOR AN ANGEL
    Another track written by Kylie and Stuart Price, this has grown on us despite our first note being "It's a bit wet". Something about it reminds us of Madonna's Ray Of Light with it's airy, violin powered Euro dance.

CAN'T BEAT THE FEELING
    A big old end of the night anthem with a Daft Punk-style disco vibe. It would be OK if you passed out on the sofa at this point. And you deserve it, goddamn it, after all that flailing around. Now rest.

BritneyFanForever

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ImpossibleSecret For This Useful Post:

Chris (06-03-2010)

Thanks
    Those descriptions sound amazing. I think i am most excited to hear "Put Your Hands Up", simply because it was originally going to be the lead single.

Also, sometime late last year, Kylie stated that she had found her new 'encore' song, to sing as the closing number on her next tour, so i am looking forward to seeing which song that is. (I'm guessing its either "Get Outta My Way" or "Can't Beat The Feeling").

I am also very interested to see what the studio version of "Better Than Today" will sound like. The live version from the North American tour was great.

+ Reply to Thread