+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TFZ Movie Club Week 3: Moon (2009)

Thanks

TFZ Movie Club Week 3: Moon (2009)

Moon (2009)
    Tagline: The last place you'd ever expect to find yourself.

Genre: Drama/Mystery/Sci-Fi/Thriller

Starring: Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey (voice)

Chosen By: Mike PP

Plot Synopsis
    Astronaut Sam Bell has a quintessentially personal encounter toward the end of his three-year stint on the Moon, where he, working alongside his computer, GERTY, sends back to Earth parcels of a resource that has helped diminish our planet's power problems.

Trailer

Streaming Links

@ StageVu (DivX)
    @ StageVu (DivX)
    @ StageVu (DivX)
    @ StageVu (DivX)
    @ StageVu (DivX)
    @ StageVu (DivX)
    @ StageVu (DivX)
    @ StageVu (DivX)
    @ Megavideo (Flash)

* MegaStreaming.org (*SHOULD* allow you to watch videos longer than 72 minutes long on Megavideo)

Next Week's Pick: 'The Dead Girl' (2006)
    Ok, so I have not yet seen this movie, but I have heard so many good things about it that I thought this would be a great way for me to finally see it.

I'm not particularly drawn to Sci-Fi movies but there are some really amazing films out there that I don't want to miss out on. I think it's a really interesting genre of film that doesn't always get the recognition it deserves. So, I wanted to showcase the genre in our little movie club.

I've heard nothing but praise for Sam Rockwell's performance in this film. I think he spends most of the film acting alone, which I imagine is difficult to do.

So, I'm not sure how you all feel about the genre, but hopefully the movie is good! And whether it's good or not so great, I think this is definitely a film that will provide some discussion.

Hope you all like it!
    Last edited by Dave; 03-24-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks
    Yea, I've heard great things about the movie as well! Im excited because, besides Sam Rockwell its also got Kevin Spacey AND Kaya Scodelario doing some voice-acting <333 From what I've read about it, though (and what I think will be interesting) is given the premise of the movie its not EXACTLY a sci-fi movie so much as it is SOMEWHAT of an existential movie- considering the main character spends 3 years in solitude with nothing but machines! Haha! Anyhow, I've got the movie ready to watch anytime soon so it shouldn't be a problem for me! Im gonna look around for some download/streaming links to put up!
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    I definitely need to watch this one! I wanted to see it when it was out but never got round to it. Unfortunately I've seen the end and know what happens but oh well

Thanks
    This is a great choice! I've seen this movie, and it was really very good. Not quite as thrillery as the trailer might suggest, but it was still great.

I'll wait until a few more people have seen it to comment.

Thanks
    Ok, so I really liked this film! I'm not going to use spoiler tags so stop reading if you haven't seen it yet...

Sam Rockwell gave amazing performances. I never really noticed him before, but he just blew me away in this film. I think the movie suffers a bit in the final act. It was such a weird experience in the beginning because I kept trying to figure out what the heck was happening. Who was the girl that he kept seeing? Where did his cuts go? So many things didn't add up. Then, I don't know, maybe they gave too much away too early? But the ending left a bit to be desired.

I was a little bit iffy on the clone aspect at first. It just seemed kind of dumb to me, but what they ended up doing with it made me really appreciate it. I thought it was a great touch to imply what living in solitude for three years will do to a person. Sam I was more quiet and subdued and Sam II was way more aggressive. I loved the little twist toward the end where Sam I is able to talk to Eve and finds out she's 15, Tess had died, and the original Sam was alive and well on Earth. That last point had me thinking a whole bunch of things like, what is his whole involvement in Lunar Industries? It sounds silly, but it was heartbreaking for me to think of those clones realizing that they don't really have a family back home and they're just drones who do work for three years and then die. I mean, they weren't really living.

I really had to cover my eyes when Sam I was getting sick and dying. That was so gross.

And also, it was a nice touch to not have GERTY be the evil robot, which I half-expected, haha. Was that just me? Loved his emoticons too, haha. Nice bit of humor.

Oh, and I really appreciated the effects. The movie had a really small budget and I wouldn't have guessed because I thought everything was very well done.

But yeah, the end didn't do much for me. I think I expected a little more, maybe another twist. Just something more gratifying, I guess. I did really enjoy the film, though. I really want to watch it again.

Thanks
    Just finished watching this and, in general, I do agree with what Mike said.

I actually had a totally skewed idea of what the movie was gonna be about- it turned out it was nothing like I had heard it was like

In terms of the acting, I honestly didn't find any of it that spectacular in terms of actual performances, per se. The only time I thought it was superbly timed and flawlessly executed was the ping pong match between Sam I and Sam II Though the movie 'Choke' sucked, I thought he was much better then.

The beginning was definitely really intriguing! The first time the screen flickers and he sees video footage of himself with the long hair I sort of assumed it was gonna go down the 'Truman Show' route but as a psychological experiment moreso than anything. When they presented the concept of clones, I simply sat there thinking 'SEROUSLY?!?!...WTF!!' but I was pleasantly surprised at how they unravelled the storyline.

My biggest problem with the story itself was that in terms of the way it was structured, it didn't have much of a beginning, middle and end. I know its not ALWAYS required but this movie came off a bit too ambiguous with what they were getting at to not have any sort of indications. I feel like the clone revelation would've been more effective had they managed to conclude this in a more certain way as opposed to introducing it in such a subtle way and then building on it.

In regards to the ending, again a bit ambiguous. I mainly had a problem with it because from what they present in the film you gather that each clone basically reaches its 'expiration date' after 3 years...so even with Sam II going back to Earth...he can uncover LI's inhumane plan...but hes still not gonna get much of a life to live in 3 years?

And I actually wasn't entirely sure about how long they had really been up on the Moon for? I mean you gather its been about 15 years due to Eve's age...thus being about 5 Sams. But going through the database, the original Sam presented seems to have a LOT more Sam's to look at? He doesn't look at them all but the screen made it seem like there were dozens before him?

And in Tess' first video message to him, I totally thought she was gonna reveal that she was cheating on him or something! I kept staring at the background and what looked like the reflection of a shower and someone moving in it! I dunno if anyone picked up on that? And even if it WAS intentional...were they trying to make it seem as if Tess knew all about the cloning of Sam's- especially considering the dad was still present/alive once Eve was 15?!

I dunno, I thoroughly enjoyed the emotional aspect of the movie but there were so many plot holes and technicalities that kept me from wholeheartedly LOVING it. (Oh and let me just add, I still have NO idea wtf Sam kept referring to whenever he'd say 'Looks like we have a live one'?! A live WHAT?! You're mining the damn rocks on the Moon!)

Oh and I was totally expecting GERTY to be some sort of malevolent robot, too! I was just waiting for his emoticon to turn into some red angry face or something and go into evil-bot mod.

(Btw, Mike, the girl he kept seeing was actually Eve- I only know this 'cause Im pretty familiar with Kaya Scodelario's face .lol2: Though I don't really understand how that really had much to do with anything before his personal revelation?)
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    That megastreaming link asks for a URL, what do I put? The stagevu one isn't working for me, it just freezes.

Thanks
    ^ Copy/Paste the MegaVideo URL into the MegaStreaming page

Do none of the StageVu links work for you? if not, then you might need to download the DivX player/plugin to play them. It loads slower but usually the quality of the stream is far superior.
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    STILL haven't watched this, sorry guys! I will have a life again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
    So should we just move on to the next film?
    - D A V E -

+ Reply to Thread