+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TFZ Movie Club Week 2: 'Imaginary Heroes' (2004)

Thanks

Thanks
    I downloaded it via a torrent I found, it only had like 7 seeders but I managed to download it over the course of a day...lemme get the link in case that helps at all?

Here you go; http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3294...05_DVDSCR_XviD

Unfortunately its a DVD Screener and not a DVD Rip, so every so often it has those annoying 'For Your Consideration, Property Of ________' tags on it.

(On the upside, though, I have found multiple links for the next pick 'Moon' and managed to download it today )
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    So, I liked it!! It kind of made me think to myself, "I cannot even believe all of this stuff is happening to this one family" haha. But it was good! I liked the darker tone to it, than say "Life as a House" since we've slightly compared it.

The opening scene was really nuts. I mean, I expected it, but it was just so crazy for me to see. I found myself relating to Matt with the whole swimming thing and being so good at it, but really not liking it (that's totes me!). So there was that connection with him right away. But then he killed himself and I changed my mind, haha.

But yeah, there was actually a TON of plot points in this film and I think it really could've been reduced. Parts of it just seemed so unbelievable to me because of all the secrets and twists. I can't decide if it was a cheap ploy to surprise the audience or if it really progressed the story and explained the characters.

What do you think about Matt and Tim? Tim knew that his brother had a gun and was depressed but did nothing. I know their relationship had...issues...but I don't know. It seemed so wrong to not help him, even if he hated him.

Anyway, I hope I got this right. I think I missed some scenes and stuff. But I really liked what I saw!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike PP For This Useful Post:

Chris (03-16-2010)

Thanks
    Yes! that is an excelent point. Tim pretty much let him commit suicide, which is pretty shocking.

We never really got to see the extent of their relationship, beyond a few flashback sequences, but its possibly that Matt knew about Tim not being his father's son, so i think that may have been a driving force behind his aggression towards Tim, as he is sort of the home wrecker child. And Tim, who had absolutely no clue about any of this, was routinely getting the shit kicked out of him for no apparent reason. So I can certainly understand that when he saw his brother in that state of turmoil, with the gun, and probably thinking that Matt wouldn't give a shit if the shoe were on the other foot considering how he had been treated, I would guess he was probably just thinking 'FUCK YOU!' I know I probably would be.

Thanks
    I haven't had a free night to watch this yet! It'll probably be tomorrow or Saturday.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    We never really got to see the extent of their relationship, beyond a few flashback sequences, but its possibly that Matt knew about Tim not being his father's son, so i think that may have been a driving force behind his aggression towards Tim, as he is sort of the home wrecker child.
    Didn't Sigourney's character reveal that both Matt AND Ben knew about him being the 'illegitimate child' when she told Tim about the whole situation? Then she went on to saying that it was the reason both of them were so cold to him and treated him so differently- so I think its safe to say that was definitely Matt's reasoning.

And though I don't agree with, or condone Tim not really doing/saying anything about it I can sorta see his reasoning behind it. Besides the constant physical abuse he endured from Matt there must've been some huge psychological abuse from him as well. Constantly being so looked down upon by the two men in his family and such. I also feel like thats perhaps what drove him closer to his mom (other than the obvious fact that se probably felt the need to overcompensate for her 'mistake', per se).
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    I couldn't remember exactly if they addressed that or not, my head has sort of moved on from this movie now. I'm working on a project for school based around a movie, and i've spent the last week watching that movie, and reading and re-reading the movie script so i was kind of like "... Imaginary what?" lol

But Yes, obviously I can't agree with NOT doing anything, but at the same time, given the scope of the situation, I can't imagine him saying anything. There was obviously a great deal of hate going on there, and i have some doubts that he was actually thinking of the ramifications of not saying anything at the time. And maybe he didn't view the situation fully, for what it actually was. Maybe he didn't think he would actually do it, like it was just a cry for more attention - attention that would be syphoned away from Tim.

Thanks
    I'll have to rewatch that bit and check it out, then

And yea, I feel like it was well made in the sense that besides what actually presented with the characters a lot of their back story and psyche is really quite easy to understand without having to go out on such a limb!

Daisy, do you think you'll be able to see this in the coming days or should we just move on soon?
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    Sorry, you can move on if you like! I just have so much uni work right now I have no time! I'll get to it at some point but head on to the next one.

+ Reply to Thread