+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TFZ Movie Club Week 2: 'Imaginary Heroes' (2004)

Thanks

TFZ Movie Club Week 2: 'Imaginary Heroes' (2004)

Imaginary Heroes (2004)
    Tagline: People are never who they seem to be

Genre: Drama

Starring: Sigourney Weaver, Emile Hirsch, Michelle Williams, Jeff Daniels, Kip Pardue

Chosen By: Chris

Plot Synopsis
    The Travis family façade is destroyed by an event incomprehensible to them -- an event which will open locked doors and finally reveal the secrets that have haunted them for decades.

Trailer

Streaming Links

Youku (Flash / Very Slow Server): Part 1 / Part 2
    ZShare (Flash): Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3 / Part 4

Next Week's Pick: 'Moon' (2009)
    Alright, so this is one of my absolute favorite movies. I'm not sure if anyone else here has seen this, but i'm very pleased to be have the opportunity to share it with you all.

The first time I saw this movie, I was left with a very strong feeling in my gut, a sort of pulsing, butterfly kind of feeling, and when i get that, I know that I REALLY love a movie.

There are some pretty funny moments in this movie, coupled with some pretty heart-wrenching moments (In my opinion anyways), that really made me feel for the characters and forge a connection to what was going on in the movie.

I don't want to give anything away, but like i said in the other thread, there are some similarities between this movie, and "Life As A House", with the whole Father/Son/Mother relationship and the sort of, 'discovering who you are' kind of thing. That being said, they are quite different, and I think "Imaginary Heroes" is a bit darker, not in terms of the subject matter, but the overall tone in the way the story has been told.

I don't know about you guys, but I personally have NEVER seen an Emile Hirsch movie that I did not love. Granted, I still have not seen all his movies (I have about 3 more to go), but seriously, the guy knows how to pick his roles. And Sigourney Weaver is just fantastic in this.

And finally, Dave, I have no idea where to get links for this movie. LOL Also, what is next weeks pick, so we can give some advance notice again.
    Last edited by Dave; 03-11-2010 at 02:22 AM.

Thanks
    Yay! Im excited to get this week going! Hilariously enough I've been ranting and raving about Sigourney with a friend for the past few weeks

Next week's pick is 'Moon' (2009)

And I'll look up some streaming links for these and put them up in just a sec!

[EDIT: Im actually having a REALLY hard time finding online streaming links or even downloads/torrents for the movie- however, I did find two versions to stream online that were split up into parts and unfortunately not on very fast servers :-/ but its the best I can do for now, I'll keep looking! I added them to the first post ]
    Last edited by Dave; 03-11-2010 at 02:17 AM.
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    Ooh, Moon! I could have gone to see that but I never did, I've seen the end though, darn

Thanks
    What a fantastic cast! I hope I get a chance to watch this.

Make me your Freshie Idol!

Thanks
    Alright! So I literally just finished watching this! Here's what I have to say upon immediate viewing:

Overall, I did quite enjoy the movie! Sigourney was, indeed, fantastic! Though I did have quite a few problems with the way things unfolded.

In general I felt like they overly dramatized the whole thing. They had SO many plot points presented that they simply couldn't develop them all. I mean, off the top of my head;

Spoiler:
    Matt's suicide, the disintegration of Sandy and Ben's marriage, Tim's wounds, Sandy's affair, Tim being her illegitimate child, Tim and Kyle hooking up/having sex(?) (and then later finding out that they're HALF-BROTHERS?!), Sandy's illness
    and so on and so forth.

It just felt like it was far too heavy...without ever really getting that deep, if that even makes any sense?

The performances were phenomenal, in general! Though I HATED Jeff Daniels' character for most of the film...not just because of the obvious but because I just saw 'The Squid And The Whale' a few weeks ago and his character is somewhat similarly crafted...and he's such a convincing actor...the lines between him and these two characters (since they're so similar) are so blurred for me now

One thing that had me a bit confused was the constant motif of the stars. I mean, they obviously explained what they were getting at (via Kyle at the college party) but I didn't understand why it was another constant theme for whenever someone was on drugs and how they would move. I mean besides the obvious that they're delusional...but I didn't understand how the symbolism of the 'eternity' (for lack of a better word) of the stars tied in with their substance-induced escapism?

On the other hand, I was extremely moved by the relationship between Sandy and Tim. They were just so beautiful as mother and son and it was just so pure between them and so honest, I really loved that. I found myself really missing my mom throughout most of the scenes

And on a personal note, before things started getting REALLY messy I found myself relating FAR too much with the general backbone of what the family consisted of! It was really quite eerie the amount of similarities between myself and Tim, my mom and Sandy, my dad and Ben and my sister and Penny! It was reaaaally spooky haha!

Again, as I said...overall it was very enjoyable but it wasn't without flaws from my point of view.

Oh and I totally understand why you found similarities between this and 'Life As A House'! The MAIN scene between Tim and Ben towards the end totally reminded me of the Sam and George scene in terms of the emotional build-up and the underlying aggression in the way of showing affection haha!

Im actually really interested in having a discussion about this one, though
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    I agree, there is sort of a lot going on, and there is almost too much to deal with, but in a way that made it all the more real for me. There is always more going on then what we share with each other, so i thought it was great that they sort of piled on the crazy, and didn't exactly resolve it all.

And i totally know what you mean about relating to the characters. Thats one of the reasons why i hold this film close to my heart, because i was able to connect the dots between myself and my family to the characters in the movie.

Spoiler:
    My favorite scene in the entire movie is when Tim is confronting his father about their estranged relationship and everything sort of reaches its boiling point and its just this sort of intense emotional moment. I found it really touching and again, it resonated with me on a personal level.

I also loved the scene when Tim is confronted by the bully, who smashes his head into a mirror, and then Kyle chases him down and kicks the shit out of him! I just thought it was such a great moment.

Thanks
    Yea, I feel like besides the actual performances the script was actually really well written making it that much easier to relate to the characters.

And yea, actually now that you put it that way the sort of chaos that goes on IS kinda withheld from each other and does make a more solid connection to reality!

I thought certain scenes were really well done! For example when
    Spoiler:
    Tim comes back from finding Matt after having committed suicide...the way you're only told by Tim's bloody footprints left behind him and nobody even actually SAYS anything but you know everything you need to know already.
    The whole ordeal with Sigourney and weed was absolutely hysterical
    And, though I have no idea what it WAS- all the scenes that took place on that weird...spinny bowl-like thing were really well done! I like that they sort of had a certain space that was assigned/attributed to that sort of emotional exchange between the family.

And yess, the Tim/Ben scene you mentioned is the exact one I was talking about! Its the culmination and climax of the whole movie...and its so condensed into such a short period of time that theres no room for anything except the raw emotion between them!

The whole Kyle/Tim relationship (very loosely) reminded me of the basic premise of 'Y Tu Mama También' to a certain extent, too!

OOOH, speaking of Kyle/Tim and the weird...bowly spinny thing...I couldn't find proper English subtitles to go with the movie...but at the very start- the first time you see Kyle and Tim in the bowl thing smoking up
    Spoiler:
    at Matt's funeral
    ...what exactly does Kyle say? Something like "I hope it doesn't make me like..." or something along those lines? Im not entirely sure it was crucial but I just need to know
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    Yes! I'm not really sure what that was about. Hes like "If i ask you something, promise you wont think i'm like...nevermind" But then he says the thing about blowing up the bathroom, but thats not a question, so i don't think thats what he was talking about. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with what happens later between them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Dave (03-12-2010)

Thanks
    Yea, I sort of assumed it was to do with that as well but wasn't too sure! Haha I watched the first 20 minutes or so with subtitle sin Spanish since it was the best I could do...but they were all messed up...but during that part they transcribed the subtitles as
    Spoiler:
    "If I tell you something, it wont make me gay, will it?
    or something like that I knew it wasn't what he had actually SAID but it sort of ruined the way the story unfolded for me because part of me began to expect that to come at some point
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    How are you guys watching this? The Youku links are not working for me. The first ZShare link works and I was able to watch that part, but then the rest keep saying "This video is being converted" and nothing plays!

I really liked the first part too! Haha.

+ Reply to Thread