+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Academy Awards 2010 Pool

Thanks
    OMG, seriously? "Avatar" is visually stunning but has SUCH a weak story and dialogue. So glad "The Hurt Locker" won!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike PP For This Useful Post:

Ale (03-08-2010)

Thanks
    I'm one of the few people in the world who hasn't seen Avatar (and I work in a cinema and study 3D graphics at uni) but I thought it deserved more, I'm surprised!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike PP View Post
    "Avatar" is visually stunning but has SUCH a weak story and dialogue.
    Yeah exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    And was it just me, or did George Clooney look pissed off the whole night.
    OMG yessss.... WHAT the hell was with him???????????

I have to say I wasn't too thrilled at first when I found out Sandra won... I haven't seen the Blind Side yet but I was REALLY impressed with her by just seeing the trailer, but I wasn't entirely sure it was an Academy award performance... however after seeing her performance speech... R O F L she was awesome.

Thanks
    I love Sandra--and her speech was excellent and really moving--but just from watching the clips of "Precious" I think Gabourey should have won.

At first I thought George had a stick up his ass and then I thought maybe it was planned so he could have that little staring contest with Alec Baldwin (which was hilarious), and then I went back to thinking he needs to lighten up. He seriously could not crack a smile to save his life.

So glad Jeff Bridges won. He was totally The Dude personified.

I haven't seen "The Hurt Locker," but my boyfriend and his family saw it yesterday and he said nobody liked it. I don't have an interest in seeing it, but I'm surprised "Avatar" didn't pick up a few more.

OH! Did anyone notice the look on Sam Worthington's face when Steven and Alec sprayed away those tree creatures from "Avatar"??? He looked seriously offended.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike PP View Post
    OMG, seriously? "Avatar" is visually stunning but has SUCH a weak story and dialogue. So glad "The Hurt Locker" won!
    Regardless, the Academy Awards celebrates great accomplishments and excellence in cinema and that is exactly what 'Avatar' is. There is simply no excuse at all.

Im with Chris, it seriously seemed like they went out of their way to snub 'Avatar'. The whole award show in general seemed to be written in a way to mock James Cameron.

And yea, the whole George Clooney thing was really weird! Initially I thought it was an act as well...but he seriously kept it up every time they went to him!

Did anyone hear someone (I think it was someone saying it to Macaulay Culkin after the John Hughes bit) say 'Don't worry, the teleprompter was wrong!' to which he replied 'Really? I didn't notice?'. Hahah I dunno why but I got a kick out of their mic's still being on!

Was anyone else pretty pissed they completely overlooked Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur in the 'In Memoriam' video?! I think its really quite unacceptable! Last year they overlooked Eartha Kitt and this year both of the above? Shameful!
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    And here are the final tallies of the pools;

Chris: 6
    Daisy: 12
    Dave: 13
    Gretch: 14
    Mike PP: 16

Congrats to Mike PP for getting the most right
    - D A V E -

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

Daisy (03-08-2010), Mike PP (03-08-2010)

Thanks
    Ooh we did pretty good! I'm surprised how many I got right

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt S View Post
    just from watching the clips of "Precious" I think Gabourey should have won.
    Are you kidding?! Precious was really not that great, and Mo'Nique is already getting enough awards for it.

If anything it should have been Meryl Streep since her portrayal of Julia Child was completely breathtakingly perfect and she's the reigning Oscar queen but I feel like they just think she's going to be fabulous in something again next year so they'll give it to her then (assuming no one else has a breakthrough year like Sandra did this year.)

It was Sandra's time. Who knows when she'll have that opportunity again? And she's so well-known and well-liked that her going out on a limb and doing a role like that was just the right thing for her to do.

Her speech was my favourite of the night - I'm so glad she took the time to personally talk about the talent in her category (something I feel like we're seeing less and less of lately.) She was gracious and poised and she got emotional and hilarious - it was so perfect.

Though I was hoping for a Meryl Streep/Sandra Bullock tie.

Make me your Freshie Idol!

Thanks
    Congrats Mike!!! I can't believe I came so close, I guessed on most of them lol, or based them on articles I've been reading online.

I missed the last 45 minutes or so... trying to find it on YouTube!

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gretch For This Useful Post:

Mike PP (03-08-2010)

Thanks
    Since I won, my opinions in this thread are superior to everyone's else!

+ Reply to Thread