+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Craziness of Facebook

Thanks

The Craziness of Facebook

I know that many people have said that Facebook is one of the best things that's ever been invented, but I think there are some issues with it as well. There are a lot of things that Facebook allows you to do that are not considered "socially acceptable." And here are some of them:

• Jump in on someone else's conversation, even if you don't know the other person
    • Tag other people's pictures
    • Invite yourself to someone else's party

I can think of a very good example of the first one. Remember I told you about that girl Julie from my high school, who I thought looked like JoJo? Well, I wrote on her wall, asking if anyone had told her they looked like her, and she simply wrote back and said nope, they never have. But then this friend of hers from college, whom which I don't even know, replied and said "I am confused." I then explained who JoJo was, and her friend replied again and said "Oh, yeah, I get it, she does look like her, and Julie does love the song "Leave (Get Out)." When she said that last part, I felt that was really unnecessary. Because I'm sure that if Julie wanted me to know that, she would have told me personally. I then did friend her college friend, and she DID accept my friend request, but then I actually deleted her because I realized that wasn't right. And I don't think Julie would be too pleased that I would go friending a friend of hers, when I was never even that close to Julie to begin with.

Can you think of any other similar Facebook situations like this?
    Last edited by Geoffrey; 03-04-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    I know what you mean, I find it weird that I can see a photo album by someone I don't know just because one of my friends is tagged in just one of the photos!

It's also weird that you can see other's people's conversations but they do know that everyone can see so if it was private they could do it elsewhere.

Thanks
    I know, but a lot of the time, it's either because they don't know how to use the private message feature, or they're just not thinking. That's how I got Nikki's number.

Thanks
    ^ well i dont think its all about them not knowing the settings because i try to keep my facebook as private as possible but there always seems to be a way for someone to see something that isnt my friend..

Britney Spears / Kristen Bell / Emma Roberts / Jamie Spears / Carrie Underwood / Lauren Conrad

Thanks
    I have no problem with facebook. You can make it private?

Thanks
    Well, you have to know the difference between sending a private message and writing on someone's wall. If you write on someone's wall, anyone who is a friend of theirs can see it. If you send them a private message, only you and the other person can see it. I think a lot of people will write on one's wall, simply because they're not thinking.

Thanks
    The scary part is like what Daisy said, one of your friends is tagged in one picture, and then it lets you in an entire album. You *can* make it private, but the settings are complicated... when you make a new album it defaults it to 'friends of friends'.. you have to manually change EACH album to friends only. I hate that part. I also don't like that when I write on a friends wall... it posts it in the activity feed. I mean obviously I'm posting on a wall for all to see, but I don't feel like it needs to be anounced to the world.

Also, with the private picture stuff, if I comment on say Daisy's photo... even if Daisy has everything set to private (pictures, wall, EVERYTHING)... if one of MY friends clicks on the thing that says 'Stephanie commented on Daisy's *photo*' and they click the word 'photo' they can get into Daisy's album that way. So yes, you can make it private, but there are still ways for people to get in and see stuff

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IStillLoveJ&B For This Useful Post:

Geoffrey (03-05-2010)

Thanks
    I actually think I should delete my Facebook account. Because it always allows you to do things that aren't socially acceptable, and I don't always know what is and isn't socially acceptable. In fact, I actually had another Facebook "friend" who celebrated a birthday, and she had her party as an "Open Event," and I did ask her about it, and she honestly told me that it wasn't supposed to be open, it was only for her close friends. She didn't sound mad or anything, she just explained it politely. But then she BLOCKED me. I don't think I should be using Facebook anymore, I'll probably get suspended.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IStillLoveJ&B View Post
    The scary part is like what Daisy said, one of your friends is tagged in one picture, and then it lets you in an entire album. You *can* make it private, but the settings are complicated... when you make a new album it defaults it to 'friends of friends'.. you have to manually change EACH album to friends only. I hate that part. I also don't like that when I write on a friends wall... it posts it in the activity feed. I mean obviously I'm posting on a wall for all to see, but I don't feel like it needs to be anounced to the world.

Also, with the private picture stuff, if I comment on say Daisy's photo... even if Daisy has everything set to private (pictures, wall, EVERYTHING)... if one of MY friends clicks on the thing that says 'Stephanie commented on Daisy's *photo*' and they click the word 'photo' they can get into Daisy's album that way. So yes, you can make it private, but there are still ways for people to get in and see stuff
    I have my photo albums set to friends only, so say you commented on one of my photos, would your friends be able to see that photo but not the rest of the album?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    I have my photo albums set to friends only, so say you commented on one of my photos, would your friends be able to see that photo but not the rest of the album?
    I'm sorry, but that's not the issue that I've been having. People have been blocking me because I'm doing something I don't know I'm doing. I wanna know what that might be.

+ Reply to Thread