+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Look at THIS!!!

Thanks

Look at THIS!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-VINTAGE-GE-A...5#ht_500wt_946

And this is NOT about the item itself! Check out the location of the item!

Item location: merrick, NY, United States
    Sound familiar...???

Any guesses???

That's where the LOHAN family is from!! I asked the seller about the condition of the item, but I also pointed out that it's the town from which Lindsay Lohan and her family are from! I asked him if he knew the Lohans, and believe it or not...

His son goes to school with Lindsay's little sister Ali! What do you think of THAT?

Thanks
    I don't know what to think, darlin'. Are you gonna buy the clock radio?

Thanks
    I've placed a bid on it. It may be worth something JUST because of where/who it's from!

Thanks
    It looks nice anyway. But it wouldn't have added value just because it comes from a guy whose son goes to school with Ali.... would it?

Thanks
    I really think that it could. It def looks nice, but I'm not sure how well it works. I asked the seller if he had actually plugged it in, and he said he hasn't. But I've learned that just because a piece of vintage electronic equipment is "New in Box" does NOT mean that it will work properly. I recently got another GE clock radio that was in its original box, and it does NOT entirely work properly. I even did a video of it.

Thanks
    Yeah, you're right about vintage electronic equipment. A lot depends on the quality of the original components. The transistors are usually OK, but capacitors can dry out with time, and any slightly dry solder connections in the PCBs will oxidise. Sometimes the only problem is in the mains electricity connection, or with the internal power supply components. I see that the previous one you bought was made in Singapore, which probably wasn't as reliable a center for electronic manufacture back then as it is now.

Is the seller willing to test the clock radio you're interested in now, before you buy?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, you're right about vintage electronic equipment. A lot depends on the quality of the original components. The transistors are usually OK, but capacitors can dry out with time, and any slightly dry solder connections in the PCBs will oxidise. Sometimes the only problem is in the mains electricity connection, or with the internal power supply components. I see that the previous one you bought was made in Singapore, which probably wasn't as reliable a center for electronic manufacture back then as it is now.

Is the seller willing to test the clock radio you're interested in now, before you buy?
    Hey, I didn't know there was someone else on here interested in vintage electronics! How much do you know?

Thanks
    I only know enough to guide me in buying and storing vintage electronic equipment! My biggest success so far was in buying a completely unused Philips DCC Recorder for about a tenth of its original cost. When CDs were originally launched, DCC was a competitor, so you can figure how old THAT must be. Anyway, those things were made by Marantz in Japan to audiophile standards with the very best of components and it works perfectly!

I also bought an unused vintage Akai digital audiophile amp, genuine 150 watts rms per channel. That's a top-quality item too and also works perfectly.

Then I got an Aiwa linear arm automatic vinyl record player that scans the disc with a laser so it knows where the tracks are, then it plays them with a diamond stylus. You can press a button and it selects individual tracks! It works pretty well too, although there's a bad connection in the neon speed lamp circuit.

How much do YOU know about vintage electronics?!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennifer For This Useful Post:

Geoffrey (02-13-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How much do YOU know about vintage electronics?!
    I actually know a lot. I collect vintage stereo equipment & boomboxes & clock radios. I have like a house full of all that stuff. It's been piling up like crazy. And I like it because most of today's equipment is not meant to last, and a lot of people don't really have stereo systems anymore. It seems like the iPod has taken over, which I don't believe in.

Thanks
    I agree about the iPoD!!! The frequency response cuts off at about 6kHz so the music doesn't sound the way the producer intended it to. I've heard a few producers complain that most kids today only hear half of what's there because they only ever use iPods or MP3 players and tiny little in-ear phones.

I think the quality of vintage stereo equipment is pretty patchy. Some of it was built to last, like the budget Pioneer rack systems made over 25 years ago and still working fine. But some of the cheaper equipment, like boomboxes, can suffer from electronic instability.

One thing I absolutely HAVE to get for my collection is a good vintage reel-to-reel tape recorder. It's impossible to get one "mint in box" and most of them are well-worn and also ridiculously overpriced. Also, they come from a time when transistor technology was in transition and component quality wasn't well-proven, so a lot of them, even of respectable makes, don't work properly. What I'm looking for is a good Revox B77 with not TOO many hours on the clock! I've actually found one, but it's about $750..... Too much?

Do you have any experience of vintage reel-to-reel recorders?

+ Reply to Thread