+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hookah??

Thanks

Hookah??

Does anyone enjoy it/not enjoy it??

Just curioussss because my friends want to go to a hookah bar on Friday and I'm curious about trying it because I hear it's nice and not too harsh or anything. But I'm worried because I've never smoked anything before in my life I'm worried I'll look like an idiot lol. Even though they're my friends and know I've never smoked anything before... it's not like they would make fun of me or anything. I think part of the reason they want to go/want me to go is because I've refused to smoke other things before since I'm afraid I'll throw up or hack up a lung or something.

What exactly is it?? I know they have tons of flavors. Isn't it way less tobacco-y than like ciggarettes?

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

Thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

I have never tried it and it doesn't look appealing to me. I'm anti-smoking, anti-tobacco.

Most important parts copied and pasted from Wikipedia:
    A common belief among users is that the smoke is significantly less dangerous than that from cigarettes.[21] The water moisture induced by the hookah makes the smoke less irritating and may give a false sense of security and reduce concerns about true health effects.[22] Doctors at institutions including the Mayo Clinic have stated that use of hookah is equally as detrimental to a person's health as smoking cigarettes,[23][24] and a study by the World Health Organization also confirmed these findings.[25]
    Each hookah session typically lasts more than 40 minutes, and consists of 50 to 200 inhalations that each range from 0.15 to 0.50 liters of smoke.[26][27] Reports by the World Health Organization and the American Cancer Society have shown that, in a one-hour hookah session, users consume about 100 to 200 times the smoke and about 70 times the nicotine as they do in one cigarette.[28]
    A study in the Journal of Periodontology found that water pipe smokers were five times more likely than non-smokers to show signs of gum disease. People who smoked water pipes had five times the risk of lung cancer as non-smokers.[29]
    The water used to filter the chemicals does not work efficiently to remove all the harmful chemicals.[30]
    A study on hookah smoking and cancer in Pakistan was published in 2008.[31] Its objective was "to find serum CEA levels in ever/exclusive hookah smokers, i.e. those who smoked only hookah (no cigarettes, bidis, etc.), prepared between 1 and 4 times a day with a quantity of up to 120 g of a tobacco-molasses mixture each (i.e. the tobacco weight equivalent of up to 60 cigarettes of 1 g each) and consumed in 1 to 8 sessions". Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) is a marker found in several forms of cancer. Levels in exclusive hookah smokers were lower compared to cigarette smokers although the difference was not statistically significant between a hookah smoker and a non-smoker. Also the study concluded that heavy hookah smoking (2–4 daily preparations; 3–8 sessions a day ; 2< hrs to ≤ 6 hours) substantially raises CEA levels.

Thanks
    I have gone to a Hookah Bar before! Its definitely not the same thing as smoking! (I have smoked enough before to know the difference!) Its like sucking a flavored fog in your mouth lol Think it as a humidifier and you will get the idea what it will be like.

I would recommend for you to try it

Rock n Roll

Thanks
    Yeah I'm generally anti-smoking and tobacco too... but I feel like this is a one-time thing that I probably won't do again for a very long time if ever again, so it's not like I'll get addicted... my dad has been a smoker for sooo long and I do NOT want to be that so I don't think I'll everrr smoke cigarettes.

Thanks for the info!!! I'll report back on how it goes, if we end up going. I hope it's not too expensive.

Thanks
    One thing I'll quickly add is, if you haven't smoked anything ever before- do NOT inhale haha. You'll be coughing forever! Just keep it in your mouth and sorta swirl to around to 'taste' it.
    - D A V E -

Kel Guest
    I do enjoy it, although I don't smoke it often at all. I may add that it's the only thing I've ever smoked and probably will stay that.

I don't know that much about how unhealthy it really is, different studies show different results. But, well... obviously, it's better not to do any, but we can't refuse of everything unhealthy, they even say bread and potatos can be unhealthy... go figure! lol, but yeah, you should just give it a try and if you like it then that's fine, if not then that's fine too. You can't really get addicted to it I think, so no worries about that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    One thing I'll quickly add is, if you haven't smoked anything ever before- do NOT inhale haha. You'll be coughing forever! Just keep it in your mouth and sorta swirl to around to 'taste' it.
    Ohhh okay, really?!?! I was trying to figure that out, like if I should just go for it and fully inhale or what.

And it really figures because I just started getting a cold and I've been coughing a lot today... probably not going to be the best combination of things!

I'm not sure if we're going anymore because one of my friends had a little too much fun last night and has been sick all day. We'll probably wait and do it a day we can alllll go.

+ Reply to Thread