+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Being vegetarian

Thanks

Being vegetarian

So I was thinking about it. I tried it, I missed my chicken, went back, thinking about it again. My friend is vegetarian and trying to go back to eating meat. lol So it's like we're reversing.

Here's my deal: I only have ever ate chicken and pork. I hate red meat, only eat turkey lunch meat, despise fish...whatever...

However, I don't eat a lot of fruits and veggies. I only eat like apples, oranges, grapes, carrots, salad/lettuce, tomatos (omg I love tomatos), peas....just REAL basic stuff...

But if I'm a vegetarian, can't eat much. I DO eat tofu (it's not bad)...but it limits what I eat to an EXTREME....and when I go out to eat it's even more limited. Applebee's has a veggie burger, Chili's....but then like at Sonic it's only like fries/tots/motorezza sticks...

Why do I want to be? I feel guilty. I guess lately I've been realizing how much I love my animals and couldn't imagine if they were being eaten. Then, tonight I was sitting outside watching the deer and thought-this is so sad. People kill these to eat them. Then I felt like a hypocrite. I'm killing chicken and pigs to eat!!!!!!!!!! So the last few days when I eat, I keep thinking, "I just got a chicken's head cut off..." "I'm eating a pig's leg..." etc.

I don't know what to do....

Thanks
    I can't imagine being a vegetarian. I don't eat meat all of the time, but I love eggs (I know that's not meat, but it comes from an animal), steak, chicken, and turkey. I don't like pork. I love all animals, but I still eat them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Tiffany~ For This Useful Post:

Angel (12-13-2009)

Thanks
    I've been a vegetarian for almost two years now! It can definitely be difficult if you go out to eat a lot. Luckily, most places I end up going now have a fairly decent selection of food that I can have.

When I first gave up meat, I really cut back on dairy as well..but lately I haven't cared and have eaten eggs and such. Lacto-ovo vegetarians (meaning they eat milk and eggs) are probably the most common type. I still try to limit the dairy I have, but I just love cheese so much. And dairy is in SO much food... it's hard to avoid.

I've been on the fence lately about eating fish every now and then. I miss fish way more than I miss chicken. The past two times I've gone out with friends to this sushi place, I've just gotten regular sushi that contained fish. I kinda felt bad... but oh well.

There are so many meat replacements now, it's crazy. They have really come a long way. I made my dad try the veggie BBQ riblets and he was so surprised at how much it tasted like the real thing. I love the "chik'n" nuggets and patties too. And the sausages are seriously SO much like the real thing. I know it's not great to use those as the primary staple of a vegetarian diet, but they definitely help when you're craving meat.

If you do end up doing it, just make sure to eat a variety of things. Lots of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. I need to take my own advice and clean up my diet a bit. Haha.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:

Angel (12-13-2009)

Thanks
    I've tried going down the vegetarian (well, more like Pescatarian because I simply cannot give up fish <3) but it simply didn't work out. I had to really step back and see that there was no way I could modify my diet to be how I wanted it living here with my dad where I had to consider the consumption of the family as a whole (my dad is basically the total opposite and doesn't eat like...any veggies!). I still mainly stick to vegetables but when push comes to shove meat is the way to go- though I only really eat beef on my 'days off'. Haha.

Basically what Im trying to say is that if it becomes totally unconventional with you having to go extremely out of your way or digging deeper in your pockets when you're not even whole-heartedly convinced by your determination then I'd say ease in to it at a much slower rate, its a drastic change in lifestyle and your body WILL notice it, so take it very slowly. Weed out meat products little by little, don't just do it overnight!
    - D A V E -

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

Angel (12-13-2009)

Thanks
    I did it overnight and I was fine!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:

Angel (12-13-2009)

Thanks
    Well, I have the Boca chicken burgers, nuggets, etc but...what bothers me is going out to eat-since I NEVER have time for home food...

We'll see

Thanks
    I could never. A lot of my dancer friends do it (or go on and off) because they say it makes them feel better, which is cool. I try to buy organic/free range meats when I can (though it can be very expensive) but I honestly don't worry about it all that much...I have always been the kind of person that eats whatever he wants whenever he wants...lately I've been really watching portion sizes, which is really the important thing. If you eat too much of anything, you'll gain weight.

I don't really like to miss out on anything, to be honest. I feel like limiting yourself is a bit silly, really.

Make me your Freshie Idol!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Brett For This Useful Post:

Angel (12-13-2009)

Thanks
    Its funny that you said that because my friend said when she started trying to eat chicken again, she felt "nastier"...I was like, "What?!" and she proceeded to tell me about how she feels heavier and stuff...??

Thanks
    I've been a vegan for about 5 or 6 years now but i decided to become vegetarian when i was little. I always thought of my dogs as family and i didn't understand why we'd eat cows but have dogs as family members.

If you want more motivation you could watch the meet your meat video. I'm not sure if you've seen the factory farm videos but they're insanely depressing but also very motivating. It just makes you think about what actually happens when you are confronted with cravings for meat.

Boca burgers are incredible when cooked right, some people just microwave them but they taste much better when grilled on the stove top with oil or pam. My favorite is the original, but they have a bunch of different flavors that you could try and maybe find a favorite.

Morningstar farms makes great chicken products that taste very real, once again i'd reccomend grilling or cooking them in the oven over microwaving. Their sausages and hot dogs are also really delicious.

Fake meats can really help you transition from eating meat because they fill the void while also being healthier and not making you feel guilty. Eventually the cravings go away completely if your diet is healthy.
    Last edited by brad; 12-17-2009 at 05:10 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to brad For This Useful Post:

Andrew (12-14-2009)

Thanks
    Ohh and also get a good cookbook or two. Even if you aren't that great of a cook, with practice and good recipes you'll never miss out on anything as a vegetarian or vegan.

+ Reply to Thread