+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Digital camera with good zoom??

Thanks

Digital camera with good zoom??

Ok so my birthday is in exactly 4 weeks (WOOOO!!! ) and I think the main thing I'm going to ask for from my parents is a new camera. I've had my current one for 3 years and it's a really cheap and bulky Kodak one and it takes SUCH bad pictures during all the times I want really good ones... namely concerts & sporting events. The ones it takes of just normal events & people are fine, but the zoom is honestly the worst I've ever seen on a camera and if it's a concert-type setting, it's super dark if I use the flash, but too blurry to see anything if I turn the flash off.

So I'm wondering if anyone has a camera with good zoom and light settings that they would reccomend. And one that's cheap. My parents don't have a ton of money to spend on me and part of the problem with my current one is that my dad just bought a cheap one without doing research. I think it was only like $100.

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

Thanks
    When's your birthday??? Mine's November 25th! woohoo

Back on the topic, my sister has the sony touch screen camera, its epic! But its kinda $$$

Rock n Roll

3. The Following User Says Thank You to onyxmaza For This Useful Post:

Gretch (10-20-2009)

Thanks
    Well Im guessing you're looking for a compact point-and-shoot, right?

Well, all I can help wiht is give feedback of camera's I've used before

First I had a Black Samsung s730:

It was 7.2. MP. The photo quality wasn't AMAZING (it'd have a bit of grain, like any other P&S) but it was useable and had flexible manual modes, too!
    The zoom mode was...I think, 3x Optical zoom? Which is kinda standard on most P&S cameras. If you want any indication of how it can perform with low-light settings in a concert environment, here's a picture I took with it:

And after that (and currently) I own a Canon Digital Elph Powershot SD1000:

First of all- you can never go wrong with a Canon! I highly recommend them! This one was the same MP (7.2) as my previous one but it takes much better pictures! It has a few more 'modes' to take pictures in than the Samsung and has a much more customizable manual mode. The image quality was better, as well! This one was more compact and had a metal body (the Samsung was plastic)- AND this one also has a viewfinder (something harder and harder to find among simple P&S's, even though the Samsung had it, too).

And here's another few examples of pics I took using the camera in concert environments:

(I was actually PRETTY far away for that picture, so the zoom is decent!)

(That one is pretty far as well, with even less available light!).

I'd vouch for both, but obviously lean towards the Canon. Its reasonably priced, its a trustworthy brand and seems to fulfill your requirements Only thing is...mines just over a year or so old, so you might have to look for something similar to it with the way things go with technology, lol
    - D A V E -

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

Gretch (10-20-2009)

Thanks
    Gretch, the important thing to look for is optical zoom. Sounds like your kodak has digital zoom, which is totally brutal. It basically just makes the image bigger without actually going closer haha. My canon (which I recently lost) actually had both, but the optical zoom is what you want.

I'm with Dave - Canon is the way to go for a digital camera. I was looking at some pretty nice ones the other day and they were all less than $250 Canadian. I wish I hadn't lost mine! The screen was huge (3") and I always looked so tan in the pictures haha. I had the PowerShot SD 700 I think...so Dave's is a bit more advanced. But I had mine for nearly 3 years and it was in great shape! The battery lasted for a long time too.

Make me your Freshie Idol!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Brett For This Useful Post:

Gretch (10-20-2009)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onyxmaza View Post
    When's your birthday??? Mine's November 25th! woohoo
    November 16th, I win! Haha.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! It probably does have that crappy zoom you mentioned.

And a lot of my friends have Canons they like so I've definitely been leaning towards that. I'll throw some model numbers and specifications at my dad and hope that's enough information for them to get me something food

Thanks
    Gretch, Fuji make a camera with a HUGE optical zoom. The SD2000HD has 15X optical zoom and 10 megapixels and it seems pretty reasonably priced.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennifer For This Useful Post:

Gretch (10-20-2009)

Thanks
    So I know I made this topic like a zillion years ago... but my parents didn't get me the camera for my birthday because it was sold out at Target when my dad went to get it (yes, you would think he could have gone to another store lol). But I got it for Christmas and it's a Cannon Powershot SX120 and it's ridiculously awesome The zoom is amazing and it's just so nice looking with a huge display screen. The only thing is it's kind of bulky since the zoom is so intense, like it's more bulky than just your typical small & sleek digital camera and it may be impractical for just bringing around to take pictures with friends, but it's going to be AMAZING at concerts and things like that, I can't wait to use it somewhere like that

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gretch For This Useful Post:

Jennifer (12-26-2009)

Thanks
    We expect great concert pix now, GTech! No excuses....!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennifer For This Useful Post:

Gretch (12-26-2009)

+ Reply to Thread