+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Time Traveler's Wife

Thanks

The Time Traveler's Wife

Just saw this today.

First things first - I've been waiting for literally 4 years for this. I finished reading the book in December 2005 and have been waiting since then for this to be made into a movie.

Went to see it today. It was amazing, amazing, amazing. Honestly, I really really love the book and was so afraid they might ruin it, but they really didn't.

The casting was perfect. Rachel McAdams as Claire could not have been cast better, and even though I was hesitant at first about Eric Bana being Henry, it just made sense when I finally saw it. I'm so glad it wasn't Jennifer Aniston/Brad Pitt, even though I think Brad Pitt could have been a decent Henry.

Yeah, they cut out a whole lot of the book's sub-plots... I feel like saying about 70% of the book was missing, but the book was so intricate and at 500 pages, they managed to fit the main plots without the movie being a bore.

Also - the slightly altered ending didn't make me as angry as I thought it would. While I love the book's ending, and it was the only book that's ever made me really cry, in the sense of the movie it worked out. If they had kept the original plot of
    Spoiler:
    Claire never really seeing Henry again
    it would have just been WAY too depressing, on a My Sister's Keeper scale. I liked that the ending of the movie was still really depressing but wasn't so bad.

I JUST WANTED TO RAVE ABOUT THIS MOVIE BECAUSE I'M SO HAPPY THEY DIDN'T COMPLETELY FUCK IT UP.

Thanks
    I remember your posts about both the book and the movie, so I'm glad you weren't disappointed! The trailer looks really good, and I love Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana, so I'll definitely check this out. I'll try to read the book first though.

Thanks
    I've actually only just finished reading the book a couple of weeks ago. For me, I'd rather see a film like this on DVD, so I guess I'll be waiting a while.
    COOCHIE COOCHIE
    COOCH COOCH COOCH

Thanks
    Ooh I want to see this, but I want to read the book first. It looks fantastic.

Make me your Freshie Idol!

Thanks
    This book is one of my favorites! I don't think I can see the film because of that.

Thanks
    Just got back from this! I kind of ruined the experience though by watching some interviews with the cast before-hand, there was a Jon Stewart interview with Rachel where she spoiled the entire plot lol. But I thought it was pretty awesome nonetheless!

Thanks
    Oops. I accidentally went to see it last night before reading the book haha. I didn't mean to.

That being said, I think Rachel McAdams is incredible. Eric Bana was a bit glazed over for most of it, but I think in terms of him never really knowing how long he'd be there for, it made sense.

I could tell it was a movie based on a book because for like the first half hour all the scenes were really short and they attempted to make us feel something by putting dramatic music underneath. The first scene that actually made me feel something was when he
    Spoiler:
    saw his mother on the subway and she gave him advice for his future even though it was the past. I thought that was really well done. I also really enjoyed the wedding day scenes...him disappearing right before the ceremony and arriving back just in time for their first dance - so magical!

Her dad being the one that shot him was brutal. I thought I was never going to stop crying at the end when he time traveled to the future even though he was already gone - I take it that doesn't happen in the book? How sad would that be! It was really a gorgeous (if cheesy) moment in the movie, and a wonderful way to end it.

I will for sure read the book now...it won't rush anything and it will fill in all the gaps for me! Yay.

Make me your Freshie Idol!

Thanks
    I went to see this last night without knowing anything about it beforehand which was good! I really liked it, it was just really sad despite the somewhat happy ending.

+ Reply to Thread