+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Cove

Thanks

The Cove

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the town of Taija in Japan. The Cove is a documentary about what happens there every August - Japanese fisherman drive over 20,000 dolphins into this bay which is almost impossible to access and they slaughter them all.

It looks absolutely incredible. Probably difficult to watch, but I would really like to see it.

Make me your Freshie Idol!

Thanks
    PS does anyone remember that footage from a year or two ago of Hayden Panettiere running up onto the beach in tears after witnessing it? You can see her about halfway through the trailer.

Thanks
    That's horrible!

Britney Fan Forever.

Thanks
    ^I know! I can't believe more people aren't aware of this haha. Everyone watch the trailer and see the movie and spread the word!

Thanks
    Omg I wont physically be able to watch this movie. I simply could not. :'(
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    I've heard that there is pretty much no gore whatsoever. Apparently pretty much the whole movie is about their set-up for actually filming it and then they only show 2 or 3 minutes of the actual slaughter towards the end.

I think it's going to be difficult to watch for sure, but I'm going to force myself to go see it.

Thanks
    Wow. I saw it last week and never posted about it. It was so truly moving and heartwrenching and disgusting. The lengths they went to get the footage is incredible. The actual footage is earth shattering. The bravery of the crew and of some of the people they interviewed was just incredible.

One of the most interesting documentaries I've ever seen. It is extremely hard to watch but please do yourself a favor and go see it. By the time the actual slaughter happens they have built up to it so much that you know you need to see it but nothing can prepare you for the images. There are parts of it that are going to stay with me for a long long time.

Thanks
    Eeek, its finally online and after reading your post, Brett- Im not sure if I can do it :-S
    - D A V E -

Thanks
    You have to watch it Dave! I'd love to hear someone else's thoughts. It wasn't released widely so not many people have seen it. You can turn it off if it gets too much for you...it's really only the last 10 minutes that are gruesome.

Thanks
    So I still wasn't sure if to watch it or not haha and after the Oscar win I decided to finally give it a go.

Can I just say, no documentary/film has ever left me in this state of rage before. Im still extremely angered by this!

It was actually a very interesting topic for me because when I was young and all the little boys wanted to be firefighters or police officers or astronauts- I wanted to be a marine mammal trainer. I sorta went off the idea as I grew up and realised there was a certain amount of injustice to it...but this was just...wow.

The way the fishermen of Taiji went about the entire ordeal was absolutely SICKENING. I seriously can't even fathom how they go to bed at night. The final 10 minutes or so had be sobbing uncontrollably! It was ridiculously brutal and just...heart-wrenching to watch. Moreover, their concern for the entire operation being kept secret over their actual morals was revolting! That one guy, at the end, where they show him the just filmed footage of the slaughtering (right after he was going on and on about how 'humane' their methods are) and his first reaction was about WHERE and HOW they managed to get this footage?!

And the entire false-labelling of meats to be able to actually sell dolphin meat (when the other footage showed that the general population of Japan had never even heard of the concept!) is just...

I could go on and on and on but as I said, Im seriously in such a state of rage over this.

With that said, however- I do feel like it was a FANTASTIC documentary.
    - D A V E -

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

Brett (03-10-2010)

+ Reply to Thread