+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tattoos

Thanks
    So, I've been itching for a new tattoo and I think I've finally settled on what/where. It's the symbol for "om." Yes the meditation "oooohhhhmmmmmmm" sound. It basically represents inner peace.

I want to get it soon!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:

Nik (02-10-2010)

Thanks
    Not sure if this'll change your opinions or anything (and not trying to come off self-righteous, just don't want you to end up like a lot of people with tattoo's in different languages they don't really understand ) but its actually got much more religious ties to it when rooted to actual Hinduism. Its not so much 'inner peace', its usually known to be the 'breath of God' (not literally) but figuratively in the sense of it being the initial point of creation. It DOES have ties to inner peace as in certain regions of India where Sanskrit is still prominent, the vibrations caused by saying it out loud and in the right manner are meant to set oneself at ease and 'cleanse' the bad vibes.

In all honesty, though, there are quite a few variations of its meaning depending on which region of India you go to and ask them about but in general it does have much more religious and spiritual connotations:
    - D A V E -

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

Andrew (02-10-2010)

Thanks
    No no, I completely understand that. I've researched it and I know it has a much deeper meaning than "inner peace." I really like the spiritual aspect of it and it's connection with meditation (which I love), but it's usually too much to explain to most people.

Thanks
    ^if it's too difficult to understand, why would you put it on yourself? People are constantly going to ask what it means and will think it's dumb if you don't explain it properly.

But you all know by now that I just am against tattoos.

Make me your Freshie Idol!

Thanks
    I guess it really isn't too difficult to understand; it was more my own laziness in making the post. I generalized it too much by saying it meant something that is only a small part of its meaning. MY BAD! :P

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:

IStillLoveJ&B (02-10-2010)

Thanks
    When you said 'it basically means...' you can tell that there was more to it, you just weren't posting it... I understood ya BB and I think it'll turn out gorgeous

I want to get a small unicorn for my grandma, and there is a story behind it... but I would think if someone asked me about it, saying it's for my grandma would be sufficient. I understand though yours being a symbol more people will ask, but if it means enough to you to put it on your body, I'm sure you'll be more then happy to explain to anyone who wants to know

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IStillLoveJ&B For This Useful Post:

Andrew (02-10-2010), Nik (02-10-2010)

Thanks
    I want to get a new one for my dad, but not sure what. I want something to represent both parents and then have their full names and birthdays and death dates (well my mom's would be incomplete)....not sure what though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel For This Useful Post:

IStillLoveJ&B (02-10-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    ^if it's too difficult to understand, why would you put it on yourself? People are constantly going to ask what it means and will think it's dumb if you don't explain it properly.

But you all know by now that I just am against tattoos.
    Yeah, we know.

If someone else thinks one of my tattoos is dumb, then so be it. I know and understand the meaning behind them, and I have my own personal reasons for getting each and every one. If someone else doesn't understand those reasons and/or the meaning, that's their problem. The ink is on my body, not theirs - therefore? It's really none of their freakin' business to begin with.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kristen For This Useful Post:

Andrew (02-15-2010), Angel (02-13-2010)

Thanks
    I don't want my future tattoo to have some deep meaning. I want to get a simple tattoo like a star or heart. Maybe a Chinese symbol.

Thanks
    ALL my tattoos are "close" to me. I didn't get any for dumb reasons like, "cause it was cute" or whatever. I had a cat for 11 years, he died. My new cat (first one I ever got again) was Shadow and he's my world. I got a tattoo close to him to show my love for cats and how they mean the world to me. They always relax me, make me smile, and all that good stuff. Every time I see it, I think of happiness.

My Texas tattoo I got because it will ALWAYS be home. Born and raised and super proud of it. I got a "Dallas Cowboys" star put where I was born/raised. I will ALWAYS love my Cowboys as I have grown up on them and win or lose, they are my team!

Then I have an angel reaching for a star sitting on the moon. My dad bought me a charm of the same thing (except looks different). I loved it so much, I put it on me. To me, I looked at it like the angel is me (my name). I only reach for the highest that I can (the star), never quite touching it knowing that there's always more than what I see. The moon and the star also show me-when there is darkness (depression and tough times), there is always light (happiness/hope).

I regret NOTHING I got. They all are close to me in some way or another. I'm debating on what to get to represent my family...as I'm not just going to get a cross (my dad was not religious)....everything on my body has a "purpose."

--------------------

On that note, I watched a show the other day about how they could only identify this girl based on her tattoos. I'm glad I have them. Kinda like UPCs. lol

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel For This Useful Post:

Andrew (02-15-2010), IStillLoveJ&B (02-15-2010)

+ Reply to Thread