+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michael Jackson Memorial

Thanks
    does blanket have a michael Jackson doll in his hand? lolllll

Thanks
    OMG. Paris broke my heart. She is so pretty too. That's the only thing that made me tear up. :/
    Are you in?

Living in sin is the new thing...

Thanks

His daughter... oh my..

Thanks
    Paris broke my heart too

Thanks
    his kids should not be on display like that. as if he would want that. what a nice service though.

Thanks
    Paris broke my heart, me and my fam were on the verge of tears. I loved Al Sharpton's speech.

Thanks
    The Ten Most Important Moments of the Michael Jackson Memorial Mess

By Richard Lawson , on Tue Jul 7 2009, 17 views

Well, that was both horrifying and depressing. The Michael Jackson Public Memorial has lurched to a close and, to paraphrase a commenter , we feel like we've been underwater for hours. Messy and strange, let's remember the remembrance.

The creepy gold casket was wheeled in and the oddness began.

Old pal Stevie Wonder sang a sad, fitting song.

Legendary producer Berry Gordy, who helped work young Michael to the bone when he was hoofing it in the Jackson 5, called Jackson the "greatest entertainer that's ever lived." Hm.

Al Sharpton stirringly, if inaccurately, told Jackson's children that there "wun't nothing strange about your daddy." Sigh.

Jackson's childhood pal Brooke Shields tearfully recounted their shared bond over being children in the spotlight. Though, unfortunately, her constant mentioning of kids and little princes struck an awkward chord.

A crazy congresslady from Texas wandered up on stage and said that she wished she was a Jackson and that Michael was totally innocent of all those creepy charges.

Magic Johnson came up and told a few stories. But mostly he just plugged Kentucky Fried Chicken.

R&B singer Urrrsher won the award for Most Classless of the day, by wearing sunglasses and pretending to cry. Usher, you were never a good actor, so why try and finally go for the teary clip reel at a funeral of all places?

Toward the end, a bunch of escaped mental patients were brought on to sing a "Heal the World"/"We Are the World" World Medley that left everyone looking awkward and ashamed, except for a few of Jackson's grasping brothers, who just seemed thrilled to be on stage.

In a chilling final moment, Jackson's rarely-seen daughter Paris tearfully said she loved her father and that he was great. In a haunting evocation of a cycle continuing to grind on, her aunt Janet fixed her hair and dotingly but firmly told her "Speak up, honey. Speak up." It was pretty much devastating.

So, that was that. An odd mess of a thing--part exciting, part sad, but mostly confusing. Fitting, then, for a life lived bizarrely and publicly, a life that needed a new word for famous, a life that, in many ways, really ended and disappeared many years ago. This whole event just felt perfunctory, as if no one could imagine MJ going out without a bang, but weren't really sure how to make the appropriate gesture. So it was just a mash of things, of different tones and styles.

And then it ended, abruptly and strangely, leaving us all to ponder what it was exactly that we'd just seen.

http://gawker.com/5309458

Thanks
    I missed all of it My dad was going to record it for me but then our computer freaked out.

If anyone finds tons of videos, please share!

So far I've only seen Mariah and then the *heartbreaking* video of Paris talking about Michael. I cried

Thank you to BRITTANY from c-u.org

^It's for a contest... click??

Thanks
    You can watch the whole thing on msnbc.com.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:

Ale (07-07-2009), Andrew (07-07-2009)

Thanks
    From Mariah's Twitter:

Trying to sing today was basically impossible for me.
    I could barely keep myself from crying. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to pull it together and really do it right, but I was literally choked up when I saw him there in front of me. One thing I know is, we will never really have to say goodbye to MJ.
    His legacy lives on through his music and the millions of people he inspired with his timeless music. He will be forever in our hearts.

+ Reply to Thread