+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Sugababes

Thanks

Sugababes

I always feel it appropriate to start anticipation threads for Girls Aloud and Sugababes when Popjustice has done a write up about the first single.

In short, Sugababes are releasing 'Girls' next month followed by a new album a couple of months later. Popjustice have done a write up about it and feature a one-second clip of the song (no, I'm not kidding).

Sugababes albums are becoming something of an annual British institution - like Wimbledon, the Chelsea Flower Show and, er, Girls Aloud albums.

Anyway, their new collection of tunes is due in a few months but their comeback single is out next month and it's called 'Girls'. It is literally quite brilliant.

Here are the main things you need to know about it:

THE MAIN THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SUGABABES COMEBACK* SINGLE 'GIRLS'

1. It's based around a rewritten version - ie use the chorus, Sugabung in some new verses and bits - of 'Here Come The Girls', which UK readers will be well aware soundtracked a series of Boots commercials last Christmas and is therefore a song lodged firmly in the British psyche yet surprisingly underexploited by The Usually Quite Opportunistic Pop Industry.

So those are the main things you need to know.

One of the clever things about the track is that as well as not sounding like anything the Sugababes have done before while simultaneously sounding like a brilliant Sugababes single it also fits in perfectly with the brassy, Ronsonised soul sound of pop in 2008 (well, 2007) but, unlike a lot of stuff cluttering up the music industry at the moment, it doesn't sound like it's trying too hard to pull the sound off - one of the Sugababes' main selling points has always been how effortless their hitmaking seems, and it's a theme that continues with 'Girls'.

We would also like to mention here that there is a COMPLETELY EXCELLENT portion of the introduction where the intro drops out to make way for a brilliantly deranged waily Sugababes 'WHOAH OAH I DON'T NEED NO [SOMETHING OR OTHER] ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME" before the track launches properly with a big chorus.

There is a good marching band bit and the four best lyrical bits on the song are:

1. "Monroe's got nothing on me."
    2. "Tonight we rule the world, beware cos here come the girls."
    3. "With or without a man I feel complete."
    4. "Stop speculating, I'm a regular girl."

While it's perhaps slightly deflating that the comeback* single isn't a brand spanking new song, and whiie releasing the tune from a Boots ad might prove an easy target for people who like to keep themselves busy talking about how the band have lost their edge, it's a great track, it's unexpected and, like 'About You Now', it's a reminder that one of the luxuries the Sugababes have as the UK's longest-running girlgroup is that they needn't endlessly position themselves as genrebending sonic pioneers with every new release. Rather, they can just concentrate on banging out the hits. Which is what we have here.

Don't be surprised if you hear this track everywhere - not least in ad a few breaks - as the year draws to a close.

* 'Comeback' in the sense of 'their last single was released five months ago'
    Sounds interesting. Judging by the song in the advert, I can totally see where the Sugababes are gonna take this. I'm rather excited, they always deliver on the first single (lets not talk about anything after that though ) although I don't think anything can really beat the greatness of 'About You Now'.

Also, I love how Peter Robinson (the guy who writes Popjustice) always takes a shot at Girls Aloud when writing about the Sugababes (in this case, "the Sugababes needn't endlessly position themselves as genrebending sonic pioneers with every new release"), and then takes a shot at the Sugababes when writing about Girls Aloud ("At least Girls Aloud make an effort to change their sound and challange themselves"). I can relate, since I love both groups hahaha.
    Last edited by Samio; 08-11-2008 at 02:46 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Samio For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-11-2008)

Thanks
    Samio, why do you think Sugarbabes and Girls Aloud have never made it in the U.S.? I don't think I have ever heard much by either?

Thanks
    The Sugababes have tried to make it in the US. When they released their third album in the UK they tried breaking the US with the single 'Hole In The Head'. It was number one on the dance charts and reached number 96 on the Billboard Hot 100 but they gave up pretty quickly and never did anything else over there.

As for Girls Aloud, I think they are self-aware enough to realise that hell would freeze over before they could ever be successful in the US. Girls Aloud as a band are very tongue-in-cheek, and it works in the UK because no one takes them too seriously and they don't either. Don't get me wrong, their songs are amazing and quirky and different that anything else out there but not for one second have Girls Aloud taken themselves seriously. They are fun pop music and that's why people love them. Unfortunately, fun, tounge-in-cheek music would never work in the US because EVERYONE takes themselves seriously and musical acts have to have the cool factor to become successful.

I've said it before in a thread, I think Sugababes have the sound and cool factor to make it in the US but they are about as interesting as a plank of wood, while no one would ever 'get' Girls Aloud's music in the US but their personalities alone would be huge over there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Samio For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-11-2008)

Thanks
    ^very true.

Girls Aloud have never ever made any sort of attempt to crack the US...nor will they ever (Hopefully). The US wouldn't "get" them, and it would be disastrous. As Samio said, they are very self aware, and they are smart enough to know that they just wouldn't work in the US.

The Sugababes have made an attempt (or at least, their label/management have), however, it was pretty half hearted/ the didn't really care either way. There was never any effort put into it, no promotion etc. I think if they actually tried they could potentially have success, but i just don't think they will try.

Anyways...i can't wait for "Girls".
    Last edited by Chris; 08-11-2008 at 05:30 PM.

CandyStranger Guest
    They are an UK group that could be HUGE in Us, but idk ....

Cant wait.

Kel Guest
    Girls Aloud and Sugababes are very British. They somewhat define British music to me, so I wouldn't like to see them go to America and CHANGE there in order to be liked by millions of americans. They should stay the way they are, stay to the UK and to the rest of Europe. I don't listen to their music daily, but I do listen sometimes and can really enjoy both band's songs

Thanks
    I have always been intrigued why some acts make it in the U.K. and Europe and not in the U.S. Like Robbie Williams plays huge stadiums in Europe and he is hardly mentioned in the U.S.
    When I went to a dance club in Prague, they played songs by this band Atomic Kitten and the dance floor would just fill up. I had never heard of them before.

Kel Guest
    ^^ Everybody knows Atomic Kitten, don't they??!!

Thanks
    HERE COME THE GIRRRRRLLLLSSS GIRRLL GIIIRLLL GIRRRLLLSSSSSS

Not 100% sure how I feel about this. It's nothing groundbreaking and sounds like a lot of other songs that have been knocking around lately. Usually Sugababes kick off singles are amazing. This isn't bad, but it's not breathtaking.

Although I can't wrap my head around the fact that it doesn't follow the usual 'Verses by Amelle / Bridges and adlibs by Keisha / Middle 8 by Heidi' blueprint the 'Babes stick to.
    Last edited by Samio; 08-12-2008 at 02:45 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Samio For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-12-2008)

Thanks
    OOOOOH! i love it!!! I heard this album was supposed to be 'funkier', and this definitely is.

+ Reply to Thread